RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Radio Shack stores closing 60-80% off

schoondoggy

schoondoggy

Unfortunately Radio Shack is closing stores due to filing Chapter 11. The good news is everything in the store is 30-50% off list price. There seem to be good deals on remote control toys, tools, soldering irons, Arduino kits and options, multimeters.

It's really a bit sad. RS has been such a part of the development of electronics for so long. So many people got their first taste of electronics tinkering from a RS kit.

Arguably, their TRS line of computers were some of the first to make the public aware of the coming age of PCs. Even IBM took note of the RS success in the new market. Heck, there are people still using their TRS-80 Model 100 portables — they first came out in '83!

Yeah, a bit sad for sure.

Sad but not surprising.  I just bought some diodes there for a test at work.  I didn't want to wait the couple days for a shipment from one of the online distributors.

I may have to check out what they have for Arduinos.

Mine was at 25% off last week so I better get back in and check them out. Whole back wall was bare. I rummaged through the components and picked up a few things. Stuff still seemed high to me. Was going to get a power supply but decided not to.

I stopped in during lunch and picked up a new voltmeter and other maker electronics odds and ends, plus R2-D2:

ef87_r2d2_inflatable_rc.jpg

My step-daughter will go nuts over it, but I may keep it for myself.  :D

Edited by axoid
  • 2 weeks later...
schoondoggy

My deals for today:

300w heat gun $12

2 pack of heat sink paste $1.20

DeoxIT Gold Contact cleaner $10

3 pack of LR44 batteries $2.60

mini displayport to vga $7.50

Thermaltake 120mm case fan $4.50

Only one store near me (in a mall) is closing. The other one that was in a mall consolidated with one of the two other stores in the city that are staying open.