RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote Desktop Connection

John H

Is there a way to use RDC to your Home Server from outside your house? Possibly a registry entry? I want to try to setup Terminal Server on my WHS.

Edited by John_h

Thanks for the tip but I am looking for a way to leave my desktops computers off. I want to access the WHS through RDC directly.

A couple of add-Ins allow you to do this. You get to your whs via the website and open the console and then you can rdp from there. Advanced admin console i think allows this. Adminime too? Or you could open 3389 to yor server.

In the article I referenced, Tim mentioned using Advanced Admin Console add-in very briefly.

I run an openvpn server on my whs, i run the client on my laptops and work pc, allows me to rdp from anywhere I have internet access, also the whs client works perfectly over the vpn and i can access my shared folders and run backups even. just like being at home, just slower.

@John_h Since your last post started asking questions about virtualization I split it off started a new topic thread for it. Find it here.

• 2 weeks later...

would using a web based remote administration service do what you're looking for?

Are you talking about something like Citrix? I have used Citrix in the past to access a server and it worked pretty well. I don't know if that would run well on my WHS not to mention the cost.

I am running an OpenVPN server in my dd-WRT enabled router that allows me to set up a bridged connection into my home network. I can use this to RDP into my WHS from a remote OpenVPN client. It took some homework and "trial and error" to set it up, but it works great.