RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mgriffiths

What cable required to run 2nd port on P410

mgriffiths

I now have the P410 installed in my N54L MS and attached the cable from the motherboard to the lower port of the P410 to run a RAID 5 data volume.

I want to add a pair of mirrored disks for the OS on the 2nd port.

The pair of disks will sit in the 5.25 bay at the top so I assume I require some kind of breakout cable to connect them to the 2nd port.

What cable should I be looking for ?

ikon

It's good that you asked mgriffiths. A few people have come to the forums after being burned by not realizing there are Forward, and Reverse, cables and they got the wrong one.

mgriffiths

It's good that you asked mgriffiths. A few people have come to the forums after being burned by not realizing there are Forward, and Reverse, cables and they got the wrong one.

Thought there were different types hence asking.

schoondoggy

You would need a cable like this for SAS drives:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Internal-36-Pin-SFF-8087-108190/dp/B008VLHPCQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1423416652&sr=8-5&keywords=sff-8087+to+SAS

Power and data is one connector in SAS.

15K drives are generally not a great choice. They run really hot and even though they have very good/low latency numbers their transfer rates are usually about the same as a 10k drive.

The good thing about using SAS with a P410 is that it supports 6G on SAS, but 3G on SATA.

mgriffiths

I can get the 10K version as well even cheaper so if they dont run as hot and performance is comparable I might as well go fo the 10k ones

So this looks the same as the one you linked to only £10 cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-36Pin-Female-29pin-Adapter/dp/B00NQBOQI2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423417428&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Internal+Mini+SAS+36-Pin+SFF-8087+Male+to+SAS+29-Pin+Female+and+4-Pin+Power+Cable

Edited by mgriffiths

ikon

Thanks for confirming that SAS is a different connector schoondoggy.

schoondoggy

I can get the 10K version as well even cheaper so if they dont run as hot and performance is comparable I might as well go fo the 10k ones

So this looks the same as the one you linked to only £10 cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-36Pin-Female-29pin-Adapter/dp/B00NQBOQI2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423417428&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Internal+Mini+SAS+36-Pin+SFF-8087+Male+to+SAS+29-Pin+Female+and+4-Pin+Power+Cable

The cable appears to be the same.

What models of SAS drives are you looking at?

mgriffiths

432320-001 HP 146-GB 3G 10K 2.5 SP SAS HDD - can get them for about £12 each

But doing some further investigation they appear to be 3G rather than 6G