• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• g725s

• Poppapete

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a requirement that all the shares folders have to be in a main folder called ServerFolders?

I would say 'yes'.

Further, there is one frustration with the shares: the DashBoard will not let you share inside of a share. This is easy to do from Windows Explorer. So, for example, you could create a share called Videos. Then, inside that share, you could create another one called Movies, and maybe another one called TV. With the DashBoard you could only create the one called Videos.... well, that one is created for you automatically, but you get the idea. If you try to use the DashBoard to create a share called Movies inside of the Videos share, it will not let you do it.

I'm going to ask how I should setup my shares folder.  How do I take the folders that WHS2011 sets up during the install and transfer them to my RAID array.  Should I ask this in another thread.  Or do you guys remember is this has been asked before?  What forum topic is the best place to look at?

As it is now I'm with ikon that I should re-install and do a proper folder setup from within Dashboard.  I just need to learn what would be the proper way to set the folders up.  

You guys seem to be in disagreement as to what is correct?

Should I ask this in another thread? 

I don't think we're in disagreement. After you reinstall the OS, use the DashBoard to relocate the folders to your RAID array.

Yeah OK, that seems straightforward enough.  It is different than what I'm used to with years of using Windows Explorer on desktop Windows.  So, using Dashboard, I just move the folders out of ServerFolders into either another folder named ServerFolders on my RAID array, or onto the array itself not into a main folder like that.  

And leave anything that is left behind on D: alone.

If I remember correctly I was unable to move Client Computer Backups, that it would not let me.  And I assume because it was the 2tb limit.  So I'll not be able to move that till I have another drive small enough to move it.  But then only move that folder and leave whatever else on D: alone after that.

But what bothers me is why have nearly 3/4 of the drive useless?  Since the C: portion of the drive is so small.  Can you not expand the C: portion of the drive?

And the Server Backups completely takes over whatever drive you decide to use for that.

Edited by g725s

Yeah OK, that seems straightforward enough.  It is different than what I'm used to with years of using Windows Explorer on desktop Windows.  So, using Dashboard, I just move the folders out of ServerFolders into either another folder named ServerFolders on my RAID array, or onto the array itself not into a main folder like that.  

That's it.  Using Dashboard set up serverfolders in your raid array or say a Drivepool. The only thing left in my original serverfolder is the user file. The C: drive will probably be a small SSD in most cases. Of course any applications will probably be on the C:

All Backups, media ect will be subfolders of the new serverfolder

When you move folders using the DashBoard, I believe you only get to choose the drive, not the path on the drive. So, to move the Videos shared folder for example, you might be given the choice to move it from D:\ServerFolders\Videos to E:\ServerFolders\Videos or F:\ServerFolders\Videos, but you don't get the option to change the "ServerFolders\Videos" part at all.

You should be able to move Client Computer Backups. If you can't there's a problem. Is it possible your destination drive is too small? The destination is not limited to 2TB. My data pool is 6TB.

I have to confess, I'm always puzzled by people worrying about leaving empty space on a 250GB drive. To me it's, "Who cares?". It's a $40 drive these days. So I'm wasting $30. Big deal.... not. Even on a 2TB drive I wouldn't be worried, since most 2TB drives are so cheap these days.

You got it, Windows Server Backup completely takes over HDDs designated as backup drives.

That's it.  Using Dashboard set up serverfolders in your raid array or say a Drivepool. The only thing left in my original serverfolder is the user file. The C: drive will probably be a small SSD in most cases. Of course any applications will probably be on the C:

All Backups, media ect will be subfolders of the new serverfolder

Are you saying that a user file is left on D: ?

I have to confess, I'm always puzzled by people worrying about leaving empty space on a 250GB drive. To me it's, "Who cares?". It's a $40 drive these days. So I'm wasting $30. Big deal.... not. Even on a 2TB drive I wouldn't be worried, since most 2TB drives are so cheap these days.

My thought was that the C: drive should be bigger for more applications.  With Windows of the past I was always under the impression that if you had more space on the drive the data could write more freely across the drive, that is had room to breath so so speak.  That you did not want to get it too cramped.  And that the drive would also last longer because it could read/write in more locations.

Do you put any applications on the D: drive when you install them?  I have Kodi, Plex, Foobar2000, PRTG, and a few others I want to install.