RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

"Restore files or folders for the server" option

g725s

I should probably start by describing how I set my server up. You can see my server setup in my signature.

I put WHS2011 on the 250gb drive that came with the server.  The install put the OS on C: but also created D: and put all the Server Folders there.

I bought a P410 Smart Array card with 4x4TB drives in RAID5 that is the X: drive.  I set this up nearly 2yrs ago now and all has been running find since then.  But if I remember correctly I did try moving folders over to X: from within Windows Explorer.  I think I read up and did eventually move them via the Dashboard but it has been so long I can't say for sure exactly how I did the folder setup.

As there was still a Server Folder(with a Lock on the folder) on D: and it had only the Client Computer Backups folder left inside.

Today I finally got around to setting up my Server backup.  So I hooked an external drive to my server and ran the Server backup wizard and it setup the Server Backup on that drive which is now only visible within Dashboard, not Windows Explorer. 

But here is where I made the mistake I deleted the Server Folder on D: from within Windows Explorer.  After I did that I saw a Critical Alerts in Dashboard that stated folders and files missing(or something to that affect).

So saw the option to "restore files or folders for the server" option and ran that.  It seems to have corrected the problem as I now have no alerts and the Server Folders and Client Computer Backups(with various files) are all back on D: and all appears to be running OK.

Does Client Server Backups have the same 2tb limit that Server Backup has?

I'd like to hear from others if you think I correctly fixed the mistake I made. 

Here is a pic as it is now:

Client%20Computer%20Backups.jpg

Edited by g725s
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• g725s

• jmwills

• Poppapete

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, AFAIK, the same 2TB limit applies. It's not the only reason, but the limit is the main reason I went with another approach to backup: using RoboCopy.

I'm glad the Restore Files and Folders option worked. I would have just reinstalled. It's a good idea with WHS2011 to use the DashBoard for any admin functions it can handle.

Yes, AFAIK, the same 2TB limit applies. It's not the only reason, but the limit is the main reason I went with another approach to backup: using RoboCopy.

I'm glad the Restore Files and Folders option worked. I would have just reinstalled. It's a good idea with WHS2011 to use the DashBoard for any admin functions it can handle.

Any idea why the D: drive Server Folders folder has the little lock on it?  What does that represent? 

I would suspect that it means the folder is protected and shouldn't be deleted ;)

You are totally right.  I messed up. :(   But hopefully I'll get it fixed without a complete re-install.

I do think that there might have been other folders and files put on the D: drive that were not restored.  Because when I go into restore files and folders for the server in drive D: I see also  options to restore $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information.  Would these folders and files originally been created on the D: drive?  I did at one point manually create a Client Computer Backups and Server Folders/ServerFolders trying to undo my delete .

Restore20files20and20folders20for20the20

Edited by g725s

From what I recall, the system will recreate those other folders if it needs them. One thing's for sure: they don't show up in the DashBoard's list of shared folders.

However, little niggling questions like this are why I personally would reinstall — to be certain things are installed correctly.

IIRC, that root Server Folder location needs to stay there to act as a stub location to point to where you moved any of the child folders to.

IIRC, that root Server Folder location needs to stay there to act as a stub location to point to where you moved any of the child folders to.

That's what I recall too, except I just checked my own WHS2011 and it's not there.

Not sure what happened. I know I moved all the shares using the DashBoard, but I don't recall whether I deleted the root folder from D: or not.