RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Routing and Remote Access Service wont start Server 2012 R2 Essentials

hubs

Hi

I have an issue that started 3 days ago....

I use Routing and Remote Access for VPN access to my network and it has worked fine for a year now, I noticed the other day that it was not working and when i looked both the RAS service and its dependency the remote access quarantine service wont start.  I don't remember installing or doing anything that day, but the day before I installed "SoftPerfect Network Protocol Analyzer" (which i have since uninstalled) but no Joy.  I did have a blue screen a few days before which who crashed said was caused by ntkernel.  (I have since run a server os restore to try and fix the issue so I don't have the dump files to share - not my brightest moment)

I have had a look on Google and there does not seem to be much relating to this problem for server 2012 R2 Essentials, I did find a post saying to run "sfc /scannow" which i did and it found a lot of errors, and fixed them, second scan was ok - but still no joy.

I would be very great-full if anyone has any suggestions of things to try ?

Many thanks 

My guess is that the Protocol Analyser has made some fundamental changes to the network stack on the server which just uninstalling hasn't reversed properly and RRAS hasn't taken kindly to. What I'd do as a start is to completely remove the RRAS role, reboot, and then try to reinstall it. If this fails at least there might be a more helpful error message.

By the way is there anything of any use in the event logs?

Thank you for your feedback - much appreciated.

I did think that might be worht a try before posting, but when I went to remove the role it said that other roles had to be removed as well (please see attached screen print) - at this point I thought it best to stop and seek advise as I was unsure about the consiquences of uninstalling "windows server essentials exspeiance" do you see any issues with removing these ?

Thanks

More info....

I have had a look thought the logs and there are entry with regard to the RAS and dependency services but all they say is that they can start due to the dependency service won’t start etc. but I can’t get them to start, I always get the same error as the RAS service "Error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start" . There are some other errors ill attached them in a doc.

Any ideas why I could not select any other backups from server restore other than the latest one - which was no use to me as it happened 3 days before, the backup drive is a 1TB and I’m only backing up the os not data.  It says in windows mmc, that there are 17 copies available but I could only select the latest one during the restore?  If this had been available it would have been a 10 minute fix.

Thanks agin for you help

Hi

That was what I was saying at the end of the last post, I should have ... it says I have ..... but I can only pick the last one - which was after the problem surfaced.  I thought that you should be able to pick from any one of the 17 back ups it says it had retained to date ?

Thanks

Run "services.msc". Find the "Routing and Remote Access" service. Right click on it and select "Properties". 

The fourth tab should be "Dependencies". Open that and find out what it actually depends on, and what isn't starting.

Also, you may want to check the event viewer (eventvwr.msc) and check the System and Applications logs to see what the specific error is.

Hi - thanks both for your replies.

ikon - Nope when  ran the BMR from disk it would only let me select the last restore which was not a lot of use to me (it dint even show the other backups as an option).  When I go to MMC and server backups in windows it says there are 18 copies available but it won’t let me recover to them? I can only do the last one? If anyone has any ideas I really appreciate it? please see attached - note the 18 copies top right.

Drashna - RAS - dependency = remote access quarantine agent = no dependency’s, nether will start and both return Error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start.

Thanks

Just realised that I had not actually uploaded the 3 previously mentioned files so have now attached them…..

The exact errors in the system log are:

The Routing and Remote Access service depends on the Remote Access Connection Manager Service which failed to start because of the following error:

The dependency service or group failed to start.

Thanks

Log errors.txt

MMC - backup.jpg

Pic.jpg