RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help with installing Hyper-V through USB key

merc2win

Hi all

Could someone help with a step by step install of getting Hyper-V installed on my new Gen8 or point me in the right direction of where i am going wrong?

I have tried making a 16gb usb key bootbable with an ISO of Hyper V 2012 R2 downloaded from MS, but when i then set the boot order to USB first and reboot, it says un bootable or non system disk.

What i would like to do is create a home test for learning virtualisation with Hyper V and then setup a guest Server 2012 R2 evaluation copy to play around with.

The Gen8 is set-up with a single drive running Raid 0.

Any help appreciated.

The issue most likely is with the USB flash drive. Some flash drives can't be made bootable, even though there is no indication of this when they're being created. The other issue that often comes up is what procedure is used to make a bootable flash drive.

Perhaps you could detail how you created the flash drive, and exactly what make & model it is.

Hi ikon

Thanks for the reply, the key in question is a PNY 16gb usb key, and I used the Windows 7 USB DVD download tool from MS to make the key bootable with the Server 2012 Hyper V R2 ISO downloaded from MS.

TIA

Yes i think i have been plugging into one of the USB3 ports, would need to check when I get back to be sure, is that the problem ?

TIA

I would try creating the flash drive using a USB2 port.

If that doesn't fix it, you may need a different flash drive. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as "get a PNY" or "get a Kingston". I've had good luck with Kingston GT101 G2 16GB drives, but I've had other drives from Kingston that don't work.

Ikon

Ok, I have a couple of other USB keys I can try, and will try to load it from one of the USB 2 ports and see if gets any further.

Thanks

The problem with using a USB 3.0 port is those drivers have yet to be installed.  My guess the media is okay, just try a 2.0 port.

• Like 1

Ikon

Ok, I have a couple of other USB keys I can try, and will try to load it from one of the USB 2 ports and see if gets any further.

Thanks

The problem with using a USB 3.0 port is those drivers have yet to be installed.  My guess the media is okay, just try a 2.0 port.

Just to be clear, do try the USB2 port first. It's the easiest thing to start. Also, when jmwills says "USB3 port" he's talking about the USB3 ports on the Gen8, not the computer you used to create the USB3 stick. The issue he's getting at is that, when you created the USB stick, no USB3 port drivers were copied to it, and USB3 ports don't work without drivers, so the stick can't be read properly to boot from..