RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

Syncthing / Pulse

ikon

Nope :)

g725s

Nope :)

Was just researching FTP options for uploading my personal photos(DSLR/NEF) and drone video(GoPro/MP4) to my home server while away from home and ran across this.

I like the idea behind it.  We are a home server discussion group here and we have home servers for a reason.  Why not have Dropbox/OneDrive/GoogleDrive ability but free of their control?

I've not installed it yet.  Was hoping that someone here might had, especially on WHS 2011. Going to read up on it more and then maybe give it a try.  Searching posts on their forum I've not found anyone using it on WHS 2011, which is where I'd want to install it, as well as Windows 7 & 8. 

The two video I posted above show hands-on use of the program.  Both are independent reviews.  The Synchthing/Pulse overview by Hak5 starts at 3:55 and they are less wordy that the one by Peter Timofejew:

Edited by g725s

ikon

I just installed it on my WHS2011. At first, it would open the default web page on http://127.0.0.1:8080/. By poking around in the documentation I found I needed to open some ports. In the WHS2011 firewall I created 2 inbound rules: one for Port 8080 and another for 22000. Both are TCP and I accepted all the defaults for the inbound rules.

g725s

I just installed it on my WHS2011. At first, it would open the default web page on http://127.0.0.1:8080/. By poking around in the documentation I found I needed to open some ports. In the WHS2011 firewall I created 2 inbound rules: one for Port 8080 and another for 22000. Both are TCP and I accepted all the defaults for the inbound rules.

Are you doing this in a VM?  

Edited by g725s

ikon

No, native hardware.

g725s

No, native hardware.

You're much braver than me.  I want to read up on it more and know exactly how it might affect my WHS 2011 install and what changes it might make.  I currently don't have a backup of my server.

Edited by g725s

Poppapete

I currently don't have a backup of my server.

Naughty boy, you will be sorry.

g725s

Naughty boy, you will be sorry.

It is a project on the list.  Hopefully won't be sorry.  I have a backup of all the important files.  But not of the OS which I should because of of the various updates and drivers I installed to get everything purring like a Formula 1 race car  :D

Edited by g725s

ikon

Indeed you should g725s. It's very easy to set up. Just hook up an external USB drive (even USB2 is fine) and use the DashBoard to backup only the C: (OS) drive. That way, you'll have that precious backup that can save you from days of installing patches and updates. 30 minutes and your server is back exactly as it was before whatever catastrophe that made it necessary to restore.