RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

pfSense 2.2 Released

Dave

pfSense 2.2 was released on Jan 23, 2015. Tons of fixes and changes.  From their blog:

I’m happy to announce the release of pfSense® software version 2.2! This release brings improvements in performance and hardware support from the FreeBSD 10.1 base, as well as enhancements we’ve added such as AES-GCM with AES-NI acceleration, among a number of other new features and bug fixes. Jim Thompson posted an overview of the significant changes previously.

Source: pfSense Digest

Features and Changes

It's a big jump, enough so to 'break' many packages. My upgrade wasn't pretty and had to roll back to 2.1.5 due to an issue with IPSec, among others.

I'll give it another go maybe after a couple of months, to give time for the pfSense gods to do their magic.

Don't you love it when an 'update' breaks your system. My HTPC recently stopped being able to be put to Sleep. I now have to shut it down. I'm thinking a recent nVidia driver update may be responsible. Time for a WHS Restore I'm thinking.

I took a snapshot of my 2.1.5 before the upgrade...thankfully. It hangs on quite a few of the packages wth little to no indication that it has hung or why other than not completing. I rolled it back and built a new 2.2 VM that is "in production" (home) now. Biggest change for mine is the DNS resolution which was available in 2.1.X but I never used.

Just another reason I recommend going VM with software routers. Easy enough to revert or build s new VM. If it doesn't work, all it takes is a restart of the old VM or a rollback and you're back in business.

My HTPC recently stopped being able to be put to Sleep. I now have to shut it down. I'm thinking a recent nVidia driver update may be responsible.

Off topic but my 8.1 desktop won't sleep as of this week. Has MS updated Nvidia drivers?

Off topic but my 8.1 desktop won't sleep as of this week. Has MS updated Nvidia drivers?

I don't know about MS, but I suspect an nVidia update was causing my problems. I saw 'was' because I restored my HTPC from a WHS2011 backup to a point before the nVidia update. After that, my HTPC started Sleeping properly again.

I then did a bunch of Windows Updates and the HTPC is still Sleeping properly. So, at least for the moment, it looks like the nVidia update was responsible.

• 1 year later...

Anyone upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3?  Any issues?

As soon as it came out.  Runs great! Love the new interface.  

Upgraded mine without any issues.  Like the look of the new interface.  Also now updates only update needed components, so depending on the component a reboot is not even required.