RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Synology BeyondCloud, DSM, XPEnology, and comparable

HellDiverUK

Nah, all they did was stick a label on an underperforming 214SE, stuff in a pair of drives (probably the wrong drives), and preinstalled their cloud stuff.  It's nothing new, really.  Same thing every e-tailer has been doing for years, selling Synology boxes with drives preinstalled.

Edited by HellDiverUK

Yeah, I've said for ages that I really like DSM but find the hardware very underwhelming. I wish they would sell DSM as a standalone product.

Well, there is/was XPEnology, which worked very well on commodity hardware.  Well, it did until DSM5.1 came along.  Now it doesn't seem to want to work at all.

Yeah. I have a DSM5.0 Xpenology running right now. I am hesitant to put it into production though, because it isn't sanctioned by Synology and they may be actively working on ways to make it so it's impossible to upgrade Xpenology in the future.

Which is ironic, as it's their open source software running on top of a bootloader.  

Besides, if they sold machine with competitive hardware, we wouldn't have to resort to running stuff like XPEnology.  I love DSM, but I also like being able to transcode to my phone through Plex.  I can't do that on any current affordable Synology. 

QNAP can do a J1900 based 4-bay NAS for a decent price, and it can do VMs - what's Synology's issue?

I've wondered the same. My suspicion is that they spend so much on DSM development they can't afford to use more powerful components in the hardware. DSM is a pretty sophisticated OS. It can't be cheap to develop.

GUIs take a lot of time to develop. And, Synology now has quite a few apps that, AFAIK, were developed in-house: PhotoStation, FileStation, etc. Since they provide these for free with the hardware, the cost of developing and maintaining them has to be absorbed by the cost of the hardware.

This topic was split off of the original of Synology BeyondCloud.  

I'll also crack it open and see what drives are in it.  Stay tuned.