RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you install an O/S on a MicroSD card.

elvorfin

As I've mention in another post I've just acquired gen8 replacement for my N40L and given that i happened to have a 64GB microSD card lying around I figured I'd try to install the O/S on that. Needless to say i have been somewhat unsuccessful in doing that. I've tried using Intelligent Provisioning and a straight boot from USB media, but so far no dice. The IP attempt did show that it could see a card in the SD slot, but it wasn't an HP card.

I've had a look for drivers for the SD slot but not come across anything. Has anyone managed to do this, or will it only work if you have a HP approved SD card?

What OS are you trying to install on the microSD?

If it's an OS that keeps a cache on its OS drive, I think it would be a really bad idea. The microSD card is not built to take tons and tons of writes — it will burn out in pretty short order. An example of an OS that would not be good to install would be any version of Windows.

There are a few OS' that don't write to the system drive while running, but I don't recall which ones they are ATM, although I think ESXi might be one. Of course, ESXi is not an OS in the traditional sense. It's a hypervisor, so you can only use it to create virtual machines that you install more conventional OS' on.

Thanks Ikon. I was thinking about have WHS or S2012E on the SD. Whilst I liked the idea of sticking it on there, out of the way so to speak, I was nervous about the wear and tear issues with USB sticks and SD cards, though have been hearing that this is becoming less of an issue, but difficult to know what to believe.  I guess that whilst SDDs use a similar technology they are designed for the task at hand so are more robust.

I've got a 2.5" 10K 300GB SAS drive lying around which i could put the O/S on, but it just seems like a waste of disk space as that's all that would be going on it. I do have ESXi 5.1 and was thinking about going virtual. the SAS drive would give me options to load additional VMs should i need it.

I think you're thinking of SSDs when you mention wearing becoming less of an issue, and that is true. Many SSDs now do their own TRIM operations onboard (i.e. without the need for the OS to support TRIM).

so I think the boot image would need to have the SD card reader driver in it.. That is probably unlikely.  If you're really determined you could probably generate a windows server boot image with the SD card reader driver.  I think it would be a waste of time though since even 120GB SATA3 SSD's are inexpensive and many times faster than an SD card. 

As cheap as SSD drives are, I'd go with a 60gig SSD and leave my worries behind.  Now having said that, my Raspberry Pi B+ does run from an SD Card as designed.  I alos see where the RP's will be able to run a free version of Windows 10.

So, would I put a server OS on an SD card, no way.

Have to say I wasn't hell bent on installing a server O/S on an SD, it's just i had a 64GB card free and it crossed my mind that it would be a hassle free way of building the system and retaining all 4 hard drives for data. However, this now sounds like a bad idea so think that I'll get a 2.5" to CD converter bracket, (that i saw someone link to yesterday) and put the OS on the 300GB drive that I have.

Once HP replace my sickly MS of course!