RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Disks for P410 in N54L

mgriffiths

I have just bought a P410 for my N54L and have access to 2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda drives.

Will the P410 be happy if I buy another Seagate to make a 3 disk RAID 5 or would I be better off buying 3x new WD RED drives ?

I suppose what I'm asking for is your experiences mainly because I've never had a problem with my Seagate drives, perhaps I've just been lucky..Don't really want to spend out on more disks than I need to at this time.

If 1x disk of a 3 or 4 disk RAID 5 set on the P410 goes belly up how much of a performance hit is it whilst waiting for a replacement disk, bearing in mind you can pretty much guarantee getting a replacement disk within a couple of days to get the array to rebuild in background

I think the first thing I would do is check which exact model of Seagate drives they are. If they're ST3000DM001 drives, I might consider replacing them.

I think the first thing I would do is check which exact model of Seagate drives they are. If they're ST3000DM001 drives, I might consider replacing them.

Hmmm, 2 existing Seagates are ST3000DM001.

Currently datastores in my ESXi hosts, been running for about 9 months, 24 x 7, not a hint of a problem.

With a P410 you may want to look for enterprise SAS drives. I have Seagate Constellation drives in my WHS. Very reliable plus they will run at 6G/s on the P410. It looks like 3TB SAS are going for $129-139. Obviously not as cheap as commercial drives, but I have had really good luck with them.

I'm very happy with the 4tb HGST drives that run at 5400rpm.  I have 4 of them that have been running 24/7 for nearly 2yrs without thinking about them via a P410 as RAID 5.