RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Gen8 owner (previously N40L)....set-up and advice....

gold682

Hi,

After the PSU went pop on my N40L (Hp replacement = stupid money), I decided to invest in the Gen8. Here is how i've set it up.....

• O/S = WHS 2011 - I like it, OK  :P
  • Drives

Bay 1 with Sandisk Pro SSD in IcyBox - (O/S on this disk)

Bay 2 Seagate Barracuda 1TB - (Data)

Bay 3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB - (Data)

Bay 4 WD 500GB (can't remember model) - (Client Computer backups)

• Running in AHCI mode (don't like RAID, as restricts me getting to data quickly if I havent another RAID set-up somewhere, which i haven't).
  • StableBit Drivepool. Pooled 2&3 with duplication
  • StableBit Scanner monitoring all 4 drives.

Now, the only things I don't like or would like to do something about are :

• Boot times - Seems to take an age to go through. lots of checking, iLo (not really sure if I want/need this), B120i (I know it's to do with disk controller, but seems to have a big overhead on boot up, can i disable or do something with this, since I am using AHCI mode?)
  • RAM - Running on the supplied 2GB. This server is a effectively a small business server where all it does is centralise the data and run the Sage accounting database. any recommendations on RAM. I was thinking of just buying another 2GB of HP RAM to bring it to 4GB. (The RAM from my N40L does not work - sticks on boot at 90%). Can someone also confirm the exact spec. of RAM I need, as it seems bit of a minefield. Also are 2 matched 2GB sticks better than 1 4GB stick?
  • I also have an external USB 3 HDD that I use weekly for offsite back-up. However, i've noticed if I leave this plugged in when restarting the server, it tries to boot off this device and sticks awaiting manual input). I should know this, but where do I change the boot order to not attempt from USB device before the HDD.

Thanks in advance

Paul

ps. i think i've source a 3rd party replacement PSU for my N40L for a not too silly £35 delivered. I'll let you know how i get on!

Now, the only things I don't like or would like to do something about are :

1. Boot times - Seems to take an age to go through. lots of checking, iLo (not really sure if I want/need this), B120i (I know it's to do with disk controller, but seems to have a big overhead on boot up, can i disable or do something with this, since I am using AHCI mode?)

2. RAM - Running on the supplied 2GB. This server is a effectively a small business server where all it does is centralise the data and run the Sage accounting database. any recommendations on RAM. I was thinking of just buying another 2GB of HP RAM to bring it to 4GB. (The RAM from my N40L does not work - sticks on boot at 90%). Can someone also confirm the exact spec. of RAM I need, as it seems bit of a minefield. Also are 2 matched 2GB sticks better than 1 4GB stick?

3. I also have an external USB 3 HDD that I use weekly for offsite back-up. However, i've noticed if I leave this plugged in when restarting the server, it tries to boot off this device and sticks awaiting manual input). I should know this, but where do I change the boot order to not attempt from USB device before the HDD.

=======

First: Check out the links at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/ especially the WHS2011 links under OS’s

1. Boot time is what it is. Even though it’s a MicroServer it IS a REAL Server. If you prefer to go with AHCI you will enable AHCI when you disable B120i in the BIOS but that will not make a big impact on Boot Time.

2. Check the links in http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/ under RAM for what other people have tried and what works for them.

For WHS2011 do yourself a favor and max out your RAM to the 8GB that WHS2011 can use.

3. If your USB 3.0 HDD is plugged into the USB 3.0 header it shouldn’t even be seen by the MicroServer at Post/Boot. You can change the BOOT ORDER in BIOS if you wish.

Edited by Joe_Miner