RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP micro server G7 drive bays

venomphil

Hi Homeservershow.com

I have a HP micro server G7 (i believe) and my question is in regards to the drive bays. 

I would like to remove them from my server and plug them straight into my main PC (when powered down) 

Is there a drive caddy on the market that would except the drive bays from the HP micro server?

Thanks for any feedback or help

HI HSS Pro,

Thanks for the response, but it was exactly that that i was trying to avoid :P

When your doing that on a daily basis and with multiple drives, four screws really adds up!

So you are trying to find an adapter that would accept the back plane from the driver cage to go into, say an eSata port?

HI HSS Pro,

Thanks for the response, but it was exactly that that i was trying to avoid :P

When your doing that on a daily basis and with multiple drives, four screws really adds up!

Hi HSS 1 Post Wonder.  :blink:

Why not use one of the many USB to SATA dongles?  

I'm also wondering why you're swapping drives every day?  SATA connections have a limited number of cycles, only in the hundreds.  You're going to end up with broken drives if you're plugging them and unplugging them every day, ignoring all that handling that increases chance of a drive failing.  

OK, if I read this right, the OP wants a a drive cage that will accept the caddies that HP ships with the G7.

If that's the case, I can't imagine anything except an HP drive cage would accept the caddies.

Like HellDiverUK, I wonder what the purpose is to remove the drives and connect them to a different computer every day. I don't worry about wear and tear on the SATA connectors myself, as I've been doing it for my OffSite drive sets for years.

So i'm looking for a HP drive cage?

I think my earlier comment may have been taken slightly to literal,  in the sense of "daily" being every day for the rest of time. 

My apologies for any confusion ^^

I don't quite understand the purpose of moving the drives frequently. If you need to get data from them, why not do it over your LAN. That way, you never need to move the drives.