RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HTPC NAS solution

JaRuggz

I currently own a asrock a75m-itx with an AMD APU A10. I'd like to utilize this as a Windows Media Center DVR NAS w/4 3TB storage. I have a key for any windows OS/server. Does anyone have recommendations for a workable solution? What OS would be best? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If you want Windows Media Center, then you want WIndows 7 Home Premium or higher, or you want Windows 8.1 Pro w/ Media Center.

Aside from that, it depends on what you want.

If you want to share files, than any OS will work.  
And you could use StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender to pool your disks into one virtual disk (Pool), for easy management.

So other than an HTPC/file server do you want?

Drashna thank you for your help. I will probably also install Plex and use BitTorrent sync. SMB sharing and the possibility of Skype.

I might also split up the the jobs of the machine by having one box as an HTPC and another as a dedicated NAS. If I went this route is there a preference over NAS OS. I was looking into 2012R2, Openmediavault, or Ubuntu server.

I was also going to buy a raid controller

SYBA SI-PEX40064 PCI-Express 2.0 Low Profile Ready SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card.

Unless you can suggest a better card?

This is all new to me so forgive my lack of knowledge.

You say you want to buy a RAID controller. Why?

My thought was to have a RAID controller to protect my data if a HDD failure occured. Am I wrong in thinking this? I'm new to all this and open to all suggestions.

Edited by JaRuggz

I'm going to have to say that you are wrong in thinking of RAID as some sort of backup. RAID is about resilience; it's there to help keep a system up in the event of a hard disk failure. But, it's not a replacement for backup. If you have data you want protected, you need a proper backup strategy, which includes at least 3 copies of the data, with 1 of those copies kept in another location from the server.

As far as resilience goes, DrivePool and DriveBender will give you that. You can set up a drive pool and then specify folders that you would like duplicated. The software will keep 2 copies of the data, on different drives if possible.

I'm going to have to say that you are wrong in thinking of RAID as some sort of backup. RAID is about resilience; it's there to help keep a system up in the event of a hard disk failure. But, it's not a replacement for backup. If you have data you want protected, you need a proper backup strategy, which includes at least 3 copies of the data, with 1 of those copies kept in another location from the server.

As far as resilience goes, DrivePool and DriveBender will give you that. You can set up a drive pool and then specify folders that you would like duplicated. The software will keep 2 copies of the data, on different drives if possible.

Ikon thanks for the advice! Looks like I will use 8.1 with Drivepool.

Ikon thanks for the advice! Looks like I will use 8.1 with Drivepool.

Be sure to update us with your progress and thoughts.

Absolutely! I think this will be a good starting ground, now that I understand my goal is replication.