RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Build a Starter Server - Collaborative Build Project 1

Dave

Sorry HSS_Dave but I am with jmwills and schoondooggy. This thread will go nowhere or more likely everywhere unless you are more specific as to what the" home"server is for.

1. Backup Server for sure - that's how the forum started.

2. File Server - maybe, depends if you believe in the cloud or no.

3. Media Server - do i need a separate box or no.

4. VM Server - Well this opens up a can of worms - All the servers can be VM's on the Physical one.

5. Security Server - Running Cameras & all that "Home Gadget Geek"stuff.

This must be defined at the get go.

But in reality it can't because as soon as you build your machine you will find out that you will want to do much more with it than you originally intended.

• Like 2

I presumed the build would be for a "generic" WHS box.  Backup clients, remote access, and serve TV/movies to HTPC's.  However, I needed clarification.

A HP MS Gen8, four 3TB drives, 16GB memory, 128GB SSD = $1200

M1LAai.png

I believe Dave said the price was to NOT include drives.

Number or drives bays? Good question. I was first thinking 2 to 4 but probably 2 to 6 drives.  Empty bays only.  I don't think we need to spec hard drives for the build.

So that removes the $479.96 for the drives. Also, for a starter server, I would go with the standard 2GB of RAM, and I would skip the SSD. That removes all 3 of the 'extra' items, making the price $496.74. But then, I would go for the G1610T version of the Gen8, making the price $427.89. If the user wants to run WSE2012R2 then I would spring for the extra RAM at $164.99. That would make the price $661.73.

Not at all given a business server easily runs $5k.

My assumption, for better or worse, was that this was a starter server for home, not an enterprise. For example, quite a few people are now using Win8.1 Pro as their home server OS, and a number of members are recommending it. I can't imagine them recommending it for use as a enterprise server OS.

If nothing else, I think this makes for an interesting discussion about what different people consider to be 'starter'.

My assumption, for better or worse, was that this was a starter server for home, not an enterprise. For example, quite a few people are now using Win8.1 Pro as their home server OS, and a number of members are recommending it. I can't imagine them recommending it for use as a enterprise server OS.

If nothing else, I think this makes for an interesting discussion about what different people consider to be 'starter'.

I just used business as a point of reference to indicate $1k is not very much.

Mu opinion is no server should ever have less than 4 GB of memory.

Sure, but I'm just saying that the price scales are different for home vs business. It seems unlikely to me that anyone here is running an $800 Supermicro server board in their home server for example.

Looking at eBay, I really think building a starter server is pointless.  You can buy a refurbished or ex-lease HP or Dell workstation with plenty of drive slots for less than the price of a new board and CPU.  For a novice they're hard to beat, a lot of them have plenty of RAM, a decent drive in them, and there's a good quality NIC on the board.  An old Core2Duo will be more than quick enough, and it'll be basically silent and pretty power efficient.

I had a reply crafted and somehow hit the back button. Dangit. All lost.  Shorter version to follow!

Do you want more rails for this project? Some of you have not only jumped the small rail I provided but driven it straight down the cliff! 

Generic. I mentioned 8.1 server.  File Server.  Backup target for backup software.  WHS 2011. I don't consider Server 2012 or Essentials as generic.  Is that a good target?

No drives yet.  Just the gear.  This is Home Server Show. It's a build! No OEM boxes but will be fun to find comparables after we finalize the generic build.  It also helps us all keep up on new hardware, cases, mobos, etc.  eBay? Bahhhhh. Compare eBay finds afterwards. Besides, build hardware type discussions have a longer life than an ebay auction.  It does more good to future readers. IMO.

Parts list like this: 

Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128667

Or

Mobo - NewEgg - GIGABYTE GA-H81M-DS2V LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Link

If we can't get this to work then we could approach it from a different angle.  Each person could submit an entire build. Case, mobo, ram, video, etc.  Then we could vote, pick them apart, etc.  I could put a new category in a forum and each build could have it's own thread.  

Lastly, I could pick a committee of you guys in this initial thread to come up with the guidelines.  Generic, Mid Level, Enthusiast, or whatever.  Then start over.  

End goal is for the reader to benefit.