RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Build a Starter Server - Collaborative Build Project 1

Dave

I'm starting this thread to get you guys to build a server.  This will be a starter server or a "my first server."  Your job will be to list parts and pieces of the build and the group will vote on each individual part until we have a final build.  I'll task moderators to keep the posts cleaned up and on topic, meaning not a lot of chatter off topic.  Think of someone else coming in and finding this cool build and building it!  That's your goal.  

Everyone's definition of starter or entry level will be different so try to keep an open mind.  If it works as a collaboration we'll move to mid range and then finally a monster server.

Ok, so give me a case. Starter server case anyone?

Additions to the task:  I'll add some clarifications as requested.

I envisioned this as a general purpose server.  If we spec it out for say Windows 8 then it could be easily adjusted up or down by the user for a general purpose Ubuntu or Windows Server. Internal storage. No adding eSata cages or stuff like that.  The user can make that call later if needed.

Number or drives bays? Good question. I was first thinking 2 to 4 but probably 2 to 6 drives.  Empty bays only.  I don't think we need to spec hard drives for the build. 

Target price? Ugh. I really didn't want to define a price ceiling.  $400 to $600, $600 to $800, $1000 and up?

Well, first of all you need to decide what function the server will be providing.  Kind of hard to scope a case or anything else without knowing what we will be doing.

Are you planning to keep the storage internal or in an external box.  I'm guessing as a storage server you won't be throwing a tonne of storage in it.  Probably a few XTB drives and raid them. 

Always felt those HP Microservers were great for starter/home servers.  The prices you guys in the states were getting them for you, you could fit your budget.

Prebuilt not an option? Do you want to start from scratch?

My vote goes for the Antec 300.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Three-Hundred-Gaming-Computer/dp/B000GQMHBI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422791749&sr=1-2&keywords=antec+300

I have one and it's been in use for four years. Bays: 4×3.5 internal with 2x3.5 bays for optical drives or adapters holding 2.5 inch drives.

Side note, I think this is a great topic as we seem to have strayed away from building systems.

If you want CHEAP, then the Coolermaster Elite 434 is hard to beat.  It'll take 6x 3.5" drives no problems.  Bottom 4 are cooled by a 120mm fan, too.  Normal uATX layout with PSU at the top, where it should be.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-tower/elite-343/

I have one, I did use it for server duties which it worked fine for (I ran a Sempron dual core on an old Gigabyte 78LMT board).  It's now housing my HTPC, sits quietly behind the TV somewhere.