RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 99, What do you think ?

diehard

Hi Ya,

This week our main feature is installing Microsoft Security Essentials on WHS. Should you do it? Did you install it ? :blink:

Check out forum member MysticGeek's review here, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22640/screenshot-tour-microsoft-security-essentials-2.0-beta/

I also mentioned installing Desknow on WHS and a meetup in Massachusetts at the Microsoft NE Sales Office. Media Center MVP Pete Stagman will be hosting "Running DeskNow!, I apologise for calling Pete Stagman Steve.

Nigel Wilks, WHS MVP moderating over at MediaSmartServer.net has his Wordpress addin reviewed over at WeGotServed.com http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/07/21/host-wordpress-blog-windows-home-server/

Get ready for a Anniversary 100th episode. With some of your comments,give-aways, retrospective. :D

Jim did a Deal or No Big Deal.

Great show again guys. I installed MSE Beta 2.0 on WHS V1 the day it came out by RDP into the server...install. Unfortunately the Network Protection isn't available for Version1. I would assume that feature is available with Vail ... but haven't tested it yet. Everything seems to be working successfully so far this week. It's been my favorite Anti-Malware utility since it first came out. I guess I am in the camp of not using an Antivirus app on WHS...but with MSE I can roll with it. Much lighter and easier than something like ClamAV or Avast for WHS.

It would be nice if it had Console integration, but you can just RDP into the server or use the Advanced Admin Console to access it as well.

I wrote up an article on it that you guys might want to check out.

Screen Shot Tour Of MSE 2.0 Beta on Windows 7 and WHS

Another great podcast. But I made the mistake of letting my wife listen to it and now I have to save my money for an IoSafe to archive the podcast until Connor is old enough to use a zune.

That was nice of you all!!

CD

Good show, gents. Woo hoo! Up next, Show 100! Who can believe it?!

Some feedback on testing MSE on WHS with the eicar test virus. I attempted to dl eicar to a folder share on my WHS but MSE stopped me before the actual dl took place. MSE wanted to clean my computer before I could proceed. And that was MSE running on my PC, not my server. In fact, MSE was not installed on my server at the time.

I knew this would likely happen because I had previously tested this same exact MSE/eicar scenario a few months back. This was around the time that there was a lot of stir about ClamAV on WHS.

But I've also installed MSE on WHS, just to have a look. And I used one of John's tricks of using Program Launcher to give me access to MSE through the Console. Very slick. I must say, Program Launcher is pretty handy in itself with Desktop, Event Viewer, IIS manager, Task Manager, and Windows Explorer all being default programs you can access in Console. Anyway, I ran a complete scan and MSE found two instances of VNC which I whitelisted. Jim mentioned that MSE flagged powerreg scheduler - a registration app - which turned out to be legitimate. I, too, like the way that you can get more info about things that MSE flags.

*Other thoughts: I RDP'd into WHS and started task manager, taking notice of the MsMpEng.exe process. When I started the WHS Console, I noticed that CPU usage jumped. It dropped back down after a couple seconds, but this makes me wonder if this might translate into a performance hit when streaming or copying files to and from the server.

makes me wonder if this might translate into a performance hit when streaming or copying files to and from the server.

I did notice that under the Settings Tab and Real-time protection, you can set the button to "Scan incoming files only" this could help with any network slowdown during streaming from the server.

I did notice that under the Settings Tab and Real-time protection, you can set the button to "Scan incoming files only" this could help with any network slowdown during streaming from the server.

That's different from the regular PC version. Nice find. I think I'll go with that.

So I'll try running this for awhile, and see if I notice any performance hit. Here's hoping.