RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The irony, HSS members, I need your help.

SikSlayer

So after the Backblaze article, I realized *I* had a 3TB Seagate Backup + drive that had a lot of important data on it that I hadn't backed up this week. So I go to copy the data off, and I notice it's really slow. In fact, file explorer or anything that tries to deal with this drive freezes.

You can imagine that I was panicking at that point.  :(

So I run HD Tuner, and I'm getting end to end errors. so I pull the drive out of the enclosure (and discover the SATA to USB adapter is easily removeable, and probably reuseable!) I connect it directly to the SATA on my motherboard, and launch Spinrite. But just as it boots.......that's when I remember, SR doesn't run on drives larger than 2.2TB. The buffer overrun errors just cause my heart to sink. Normally, I'd be REALLY mad that I spent $80 or whatever it was for this app, and when I needed it the most, it doesn't work as advertised......but I just want my data! I'd pay another $80 if it suddenly 'fixed' the drive just long enough for me to get the data off of it!

So, this is where I turn to the HSS community. I need your help. I gotta get the data off this drive. I will list a number of other details I noticed so I can paint a clearer picture of what's going on:

• It shows up in Windows when connected directly via SATA, but Windows needed to install a driver for the drive, so when the reboot notice appeared, suddenly the drive was 'Local Disk' and empty. It later VANISHED. Not In device manager, Disk Management, nowhere. (I thought it died wholesale at that point)
  • It didn't show up in the BIOS when I switched to IDE from ACHI, but SpinRite still booted and did the buffer overrun error that it does on > 2.2 TB drives
  • Connecting the drive to the SATA to USB adapter from the enclosure, it once again shows in Windows, still very slow.
  • I can see the folders, and most of the files I've bothered to look into
  • At least one folder never shows any data
  • The drive is a ST3000DM001, the very same one on the Backblaze breakdown with the 40.8% – 45.4% failure rate.
Edited by SikSlayer

Yikes, unfortunate timing. And obviously, you have no backup.

I would like Drashna to chime in, but I'm wondering if Stablebit Scanner could help here.

Is this a "Seagate Backup Plus" drive, or a Seagate Backup + drive?

Yes, that sounds like the same, but they're different hardware (for the SATA to USB converter) and different firmware.

IIRC, the "+" model, you can't access the data if you connect it directly to SATA after using it in the USB enclosure....

Yikes, unfortunate timing. And obviously, you have no backup.

I would like Drashna to chime in, but I'm wondering if Stablebit Scanner could help here.

Schoondoggy has the gist of it.

The less between the motherboard and the drive, the better.....

As for StableBit Scanner... not really. You should be able to see the SMART data, and possibly run a surface scan... but it sounds like there is some bad hardware there (namely the adapter part)

Is this a "Seagate Backup Plus" drive, or a Seagate Backup + drive?

Yes, that sounds like the same, but they're different hardware (for the SATA to USB converter) and different firmware.

A Seagate Backup Plus. Model SRD0SD0 (On the label of the enclosure and the box, I always thought it to be a Segate Backup +, I think that's what it shows up as in WIndows when I go to eject the drive) 

IIRC, the "+" model, you can't access the data if you connect it directly to SATA after using it in the USB enclosure....

I did see the data on the drive until windows installed drivers for it, then nothing. So I guess I can't access the data without it, which I don't understand how that could even BE I guess this doesn't apply to me.

but it sounds like there is some bad hardware there (namely the adapter part)

So it may not be the drive, but the SATA to USB adapter?? That'd be the best news I've heard yet....if I could find another working adapter.

So what are my options? What can I do?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by SikSlayer