• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• HellDiverUK

• nrf

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I'm surprised....

As is, there really isn't anything to differentiate Server 2012R2 for Server 10... other than the unnecessary start menu (yes, I said it!).

I have read some musings that said that microsoft didn't want to muddy the waters for all the companies upgrading their old server 2003 stuff. I just finished a major upgrade of a system going back to server 2000, there have to be tons of old stuff out there about to go off support. curiously the client chose 2008r2 as the new OS.

Our company hasn't even jumped on 2012 yet.  Every server they refresh and upgrade is to 2008.  When I worked on IBM it was the same thing with our clients.  They were always slow to upgrade to the latest and most didn't even want the latest on their servers.  I don't think they are really excited for the next version.  When it is released they will probably just upgrade to 2012 (not even R2).  Don't know why that is.

At my work we never upgrade to the latest version either. We prefer to let others find all the bugs and vulnerabilities and then deploy an OS that has most of them fixed. I know plenty of other enterprises that feel the same.

I think there is even more of this for client OS. if you have custom desktop applications, there are often major hurdles to upgrade. As much as we think of XP as obsolete, it made many requirements on applications. Then Vista :( came along with even more and the dreaded need to affirm everything.

I don't think it is so much the OS itself that is the obstacle, but the other things that come with it, like a new IIS etc.

And don't get me started on SQL Server - jumping to the latest version may involve recoding lots of stuff that the vendor decided not to support in 'compatibility mode'.

Bottom line, though, I think the recommendation is to go with 2012r2 rather than waiting for 'server 10' whatever/whenever that may be. the only question is, how low can the price go before osNext comes out...

At work I just deployed Server 2008R2 on the new machines.  It works, and I'm not confident enough with the extra AD stuff in 2012R2 to put it in to production, especially as I am the IT department.  Yes, I know I should go for training, but the training budget wasn't there this year. :(

The corporate PC (the ones I don't support, they're part of the country-wide network) were recently upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows Vista.  

Don't know why that is

"You can always tell the pioneers, they're the ones with arrows in their backs" ;)

If you view these systems as tools to do a job, then the enforced upgrade structure is just a way for the manufacturers to make money with no benefit to your business. So what if I have a ten year old computer running a ten year old OS - if it still does admirably what it was intended to do then surely that is a good thing. The fact that we are in the age of built-in obsolescence doesn't mean that the continual cycle of upgrades makes any sense.