RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help! WHS v1 - Replacing System Drive

JonDeutsch

Hello,

WHS has been telling me for over a year that my system drive (WD20EURS-63548Y0) has been having issues.  Last week, WHS stopped working.  I took out the drive and did a CHKDSK on another machine. It found a host of issues and resolved them.  Put it back into WHS and thank goodness it booted up!  But a week later, I got another message from WHS saying that it needed repairs.  I repaired it in WHS and it says it's fine again, but this does not seem sustainable.

I need to replace the system drive, and I want to clone it so I can keep things exactly how they are, just with new HD hardware.

I do not think it makes sense to buy an identical drive since it's so old.  What drive should I replace this drive with that can be a good system & storage drive for WHS v1?

Thank you for your advice and help in advance!

Jon

Just to be clear, you are running WHSv1? I ask because this is the WHS2011 forum.

As far as drives go, there lots to choose from for a v1 machine: a WD Red, a Seagate NAS drive, HGST. You could even go for an SSD, which might help speed up launching the Dashboard from a client computer. I think the main thing would be to use a good drive cloning program, such as Acronis True Image Home, to ensure that the current boot drive gets copied exactly.

And I would do it soon. It sounds like your current drive is on its last leg.

How much storage do you actually use on the system drive?  If you're not using much, then I have to say the 500GB WD Blue is probably the best drive I've seen.  I've a pile of them at work, and several at home/family and they've been solid. A lot quicker than the WD Red, which is just a tarted up Green.

Sorry about posting to the wrong forum.  I don't know how that happened!  If the admin can move it to the right forum, I'd be fine with that.

I was under the impression that the primary drive was used as part of the overall storage capacity of WHS vs (not 2011).  Can someone confirm?

Edited by JonDeutsch

I would suggest a 2TB non Advanced Format hard drive. WHSv1 will only start to use the pooled storage space on the system drive once the other drives in the pool are full.

As for cloning, check out the post at MediaSmartServer.net on cloning the system drive. You need a program that correctly copies the DriveID correctly or else the Console's Storage Tab will show the system drive as missing and not added to the pool. Else you will have to do some registry hacking.

Post moved to WHSv1 section.

A lot quicker than the WD Red, which is just a tarted up Green.

I disagree. AFAIK, Green drives do not have Dynamic Vibration Dampening, which the Reds do have. For me, that's a great deal more than 'tarting up'.

• Like 1

How can I determine if a drive is not Advanced Format?  That's the key component of my decision making process on what drive to get!

Is the WD20EZRX a contender?  Are there more suitable drives that will take the 24/7 environment better?  I need to replace this soon!

Thanks for the tip on the cloning. I'll check that site out. 

I would suggest a 2TB non Advanced Format hard drive. WHSv1 will only start to use the pooled storage space on the system drive once the other drives in the pool are full.

As for cloning, check out the post at MediaSmartServer.net on cloning the system drive. You need a program that correctly copies the DriveID correctly or else the Console's Storage Tab will show the system drive as missing and not added to the pool. Else you will have to do some registry hacking.

Post moved to WHSv1 section.

Hello,

WHS has been telling me for over a year that my system drive (WD20EURS-63548Y0) has been having issues.  Last week, WHS stopped working.  I took out the drive and did a CHKDSK on another machine. It found a host of issues and resolved them.  Put it back into WHS and thank goodness it booted up!  But a week later, I got another message from WHS saying that it needed repairs.  I repaired it in WHS and it says it's fine again, but this does not seem sustainable.

I need to replace the system drive, and I want to clone it so I can keep things exactly how they are, just with new HD hardware.

I do not think it makes sense to buy an identical drive since it's so old.  What drive should I replace this drive with that can be a good system & storage drive for WHS v1?

Thank you for your advice and help in advance!

Jon

For the love of ....

If you are using WHSv1, then DO NOT CLONE THE DISK.

This will only lead to trouble, and a fresh install. Period. 

Well, ... that's not entirely true, but more than likely the case. WHSv1 is VERY VERY picky about the disks, partitioning info, etc. Cloning the disks will change that, and cause Drive Extender to choke, basically.

Honestly, your best bet would be to "migrage"... be that to a new install of WHSv1 or to a newer OS....

As for migrating to a new install: 

http://web.archive.org/web/20100325211426/http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Migrate_Shares_and_Backups_to_New_System

Though, you may want to migrate everything off of the system disk first:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100325211426/http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Force_Data_Migration_off_the_Primary_Data_Partition

Otherwise, it's complicated and uses tools that could wipe the drive:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6826

How can I determine if a drive is not Advanced Format?  That's the key component of my decision making process on what drive to get!

Is the WD20EZRX a contender?  Are there more suitable drives that will take the 24/7 environment better?  I need to replace this soon!

Thanks for the tip on the cloning. I'll check that site out. 

Seagate drives use "SmartAlign" which lies to the disk.

WD's drive are all AF anymore.

The drive you list is Advanced Format. In fact, the entire EZRX line is Advanced format:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-800026.pdf

Honestly, get a desktop drive for the system disk, it will make a difference...

So a Seagate desktop drive, or an WD Black or Blue drive would be the best option, and may not be advanced format... you just need to check.

[rant]

Also, I really HATE advanced format. Why? Because GPT doesn't have the sector number issue... so the only reason we have advanced format disks is for BIOS system boot disks (XP supports GPT...., and so does Server 2003...)

JonDeutsch, the WD20EZRX is a Green drive. Every member of these forums pretty much knows I would not use a WD Green... for anything except a paper weight. I would use something like a WD Red or HGST.

Drashna, I'm not sure why you are so adamant about not cloning WHSv1 OS drives. I used to do it every 3 to 6 months, so I could SpinRite the current OS drive and put it on the shelf for the next cycle. Over the course of my time using v1 I must have cloned the OS drive a dozen times. I never had a problem with it.

I did take some precautions. I always made sure to shut the system down properly. I always removed the data drives before booting up with the clone. I didn't reinstall the data drives until I was sure the clone was working properly.

In any case, it really couldn't hurt to try it. If it doesn't work, no harm done — the original drive is still available.