RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
teknokill

Seagate Archive HDD 8TB SATA III Hard Drive

edubya

As for trust... I trust them as much as Western Digital.

Funny you say that I trust Seagate and don't trust western digital anymore.  I have had good luck with My WD passports but 3.5 drives.  Greens, blues and blacks have all died under warranty....several of them.  They were all RMA'ed so not a huge deal since everything has always been in RAID or pools.  I have been using Seagates for a couple of years now because I no longer trust WD quality....so far I haven't had a single drive failure with Seagate.  

Drashna Jaelre

Funny you say that I trust Seagate and don't trust western digital anymore.  I have had good luck with My WD passports but 3.5 drives.  Greens, blues and blacks have all died under warranty....several of them.  They were all RMA'ed so not a huge deal since everything has always been in RAID or pools.  I have been using Seagates for a couple of years now because I no longer trust WD quality....so far I haven't had a single drive failure with Seagate.  

Well, that's my point. I don't trust EITHER company. 

Why? because they're designing very advanced mechanical systems, that even a little out of spec and "bad things happen".

In fact, my biggest considerations for drives has not been the brand for a long while, but the price vs capacity ratio (eg, price per GB/TB) and the warranty period. Those are much more important.

And I've had 6-7 Seagates die last year, in a short time span. All ST3000DM001 drives, except two... which were ST4000DM000 drives.

But i've had issues with WD drives as well.

They all fail.

Drashna Jaelre

So, am I understanding the data sheet right? That SMR is great for sequential writing and reading, but not so with random writes?

That's the theory.

In practice, if you're using it outside of a RAID/storage spaces, and just placing files on it... it appears to get very good speeds.

copying files to it, I got around 150MB/s. It did bounce around a lot, and couple of times, it stalled (hit 0 bytes/sec) for a couple of seconds.

Speeds copying from it were closer to 120MB/s.

Tests like ATTO gave it comparable results to the Seagate NAS drives I have (which perform a bit better than the WD Reds).

So for something like StableBit DrivePool, these may work well. (Though I'd recommend the Ordered File Placement balancer, to fill one drive at a time).

edubya

Well, that's my point. I don't trust EITHER company. 

Why? because they're designing very advanced mechanical systems, that even a little out of spec and "bad things happen".

In fact, my biggest considerations for drives has not been the brand for a long while, but the price vs capacity ratio (eg, price per GB/TB) and the warranty period. Those are much more important.

And I've had 6-7 Seagates die last year, in a short time span. All ST3000DM001 drives, except two... which were ST4000DM000 drives.

But i've had issues with WD drives as well.

They all fail.

Gotcha, right it's a little scary.  I just pray that my stablebit software works for me.  Between my drivepool and scanner I feel comfortable that I won't lose data.

Drashna Jaelre

As by "die", only two actually died. The rest still work, but have several thousand uncorrectable sectors, and StableBit Scanner reports the same number of damaged sectors. 

I removed the disks immediately, and fortunately, only afterwards did the disks die.

Also the disks in question were all shelled external drives. Which supports my belief that external drives are of lower quality. Or maybe use very different firmware (or different thresholds).

ikon

I'm with you on WD Green drives. I'm not too fond of Blues either. I have had good luck with RE and Red drives though. These days, I look more at the specific model of drive. The problem with Seagate is they make it more difficult to identify their models. And yeah, the ST3000DM001 drives seem to be real dogs. I always test drives before putting them into production.

edubya

So I have had the Seagate 6TB HHD ( STBD6000100) on my amazon and newegg wishlist for a long time.  Today the price dropped down to $199.99 for 24 hours.  The lowest I have seen this drive prior was $249.  So I grabbed it.  I guess I won't be trying out the 8TB drive anytime soon. 

Hopefully in the comping months or years we will see good reviews of these shingled drives.

Drashna, you may be correct about the external shelled drives.  I think they put sub par drives in them.  I actually had one shelled drive that had a WD Green inside it.  I removed it from the case and put in my WHM and it died several months later.  It wasn't that old when I put it in.  Most of my WD duds were green drives.  We bought 10 WD blue drives at work and within a year 7 of them died.   

Drashna, if you didn't remove those bad drives would you have lost data?  Would drivepool have handled it?

ikon

I've had some less than pleasant experience with WD Blue drives as well, but I haven't had enough of them to really draw any conclusions. WD Greenies I have used quite a bit, but I haven't bought any in a couple of years, and I won't buy any in future.

Drashna Jaelre

Drashna, if you didn't remove those bad drives would you have lost data?  Would drivepool have handled it?

Most of the drives, no.

However, two of them died shortly after removing them from the pool. In fact, one or them caused the test system I was using to become completely unstable and unable to boot while it was connected, and the other ... stopped appearing in the system completely.

The rest of the drives are still working, and being relegated to sneaker-net duty of unimportant data (eg, giving friend a chunk of my massive movie/tv collection).

As for DrivePool, since I have Scanner installed, it was reporting damaged sectors, and DrivePool started moving data off of the drives automatically. It performance flawlessly in that regards.