RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
teknokill

Seagate Archive HDD 8TB SATA III Hard Drive

ikon

People said the same about PMR. 

That doesn't mean everything will be fine with SMR. The success of one technology is no guarantee of success of another technology.

oj88

We'll see in a few years if this new modulation will stand the test of time.

• Like 1

ikon

We'll see in a few years if this new modulation will stand the test of time.

Exactly, and I'm not going to be the guinea pig. ;)

Drashna Jaelre

Exactly, and I'm not going to be the guinea pig. ;)

No, you're not willing to PAY to be a guinea pig. But if somebody were to offer one to you for free (no strings attached), we all know you'd take it in a heartbeat. :)

And no, this doesn't mean I'm offering (you know, unless i win the lotto...)

Drashna Jaelre

Wow, they're cheap.  

They'd meet my needs perfectly, 99% of the data on my server is video, which is only accessed by one machine at a time.  

Just a shame it's Seagate, I don't trust them.

They're cheap because they're not general purpose. They won't perform as well under "normal" usage.

As for trust... I trust them as much as Western Digital.

Seriously???  Who at the home level has that much REAL data worth keeping?  Unless you are a really serious photographer then I could see the need, possibly.  You would need three to make an array so that would give you 16TB of storage.

I don't know, PVR (such as Windows Media Player) uses uncompressed video. So you could easily fill that.

And even if you do compress it... it still adds up quickly.

Also, if you're archiving your BluRAYs.... ...

Or you have an extensive ISO library courtesy of MSDN/Technet... 

There are plenty of reasons to do so, and I haven't even touched on piracy yet! Yar!

So, am I understanding the data sheet right? That SMR is great for sequential writing and reading, but not so with random writes?

Yes. Exactly. It basically gets SUPER fragmented if you write again.

I'd worry about data erosion over time: i.e. bit rot.

I feel like this is some hardcore bait here.

HARD.

CORE.

BAIT.

:)

http://blog.covecube.com/2014/10/why-using-stablebit-scanner-is-a-good-idea/

Check the "surface scan" section.

But yes, that's basically what StableBit Scanner's surface scan is supposed to detect.

It should work just as well on the Archival disks. 

Also, I am pretty sure this comment was made to bait me. Did I mention bait? 

Also, I am very, very curious about how well one of these drives would perform in StableBit DrivePool (and if they'd be truly fantastic in conjunction with the SSD Optimizer balancer).

ikon

Actually, I wouldn't take an SMR drive, not ever a free one. It would be lousy for my backup, because that gets overwritten every day, and I don't trust it for long term storage. That, and my backup really is my long term storage.

I can see where you might think I was baiting you, Drashna, re: Scanner but, in reality, the thought never crossed my mind. That said, Scanner would be a good tool for verifying SMR drives. The problem with that is that I picture SMR drives as like burnable DVDs: you write to them once and then put them on the shelf. Don't think even Scanner can check them in that situation ;)

edubya

I am interested in these drives, I wonder if they are fast enough to stream DVDs that I have in my pool.  If they aren't I might create two pools one with them and one without.  One being the working pool and the other being the backup pool.  Great price and should allow me to drop a couple of drives.

ikon

Let us know how it works out please.

oj88

I believe that reading/streaming from SMR drives shouldn't be an issue. It will be on par with conventional drives.

However, it becomes generally slow when writing/recording at random places on the disk and tends to get worse as the hard disk is filled up.

HellDiverUK

I think they'll work just fine for data hoarders.  Stuff goes on there to be read once if ever.  I've over 1.5TB of TV shows, 50% I've never watched and may never do so, 50% I've watched and will probably never watch again.  But I refuse to delete anything, Just In Case. 

• Like 1