RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
teknokill

Seagate Archive HDD 8TB SATA III Hard Drive

Drashna Jaelre

"Coming soon" still....

Also, it's yet to be seen if these are good for NAS type devices.

I can pretty much guarantee that RAID and Storage Spaces will kill the performance on these due to the shingled writes... 

I am curious (personally) about how well they'd do for backup, and file based pooling solutions.

HellDiverUK

Wow, they're cheap.  

They'd meet my needs perfectly, 99% of the data on my server is video, which is only accessed by one machine at a time.  

Just a shame it's Seagate, I don't trust them.

jmwills

Seriously???  Who at the home level has that much REAL data worth keeping?  Unless you are a really serious photographer then I could see the need, possibly.  You would need three to make an array so that would give you 16TB of storage.

oj88

So, am I understanding the data sheet right? That SMR is great for sequential writing and reading, but not so with random writes?

ikon

Actually, I'm not sure sure it's great for writing, because it can require rewriting adjacent tracks in order to preserve the data on them. TBH, the whole idea of SMR gives me the willies.

oj88

Hmmm. If it's doing sequential writes with the drive initially empty (no data yet on the adjacent track), I think performance should be on par with current drives. But rewriting an already populated track will probably yield poor performance due to the extra work the drive has to do. At least that's how I understood it.

But it does kinda make sense. With archiving, you write once to fill up the drive and just read from it on demand. You don't typically make changes to archived contents.... generally not, at least.

So, it's great for archiving - Yes

But any sort of backup other than a full one (ie. Incremental or Differential) - Maybe not

And probably very bad for a general purpose server, much less as a system drive (where a lot of random writes and changes are done almost continuously)

ikon

I'd worry about data erosion over time: i.e. bit rot.

oj88

I agree. The 'safety' gaps had a purpose. Making them very narrow will definitely have some effect.

HellDiverUK

TBH, the whole idea of SMR gives me the willies.

People said the same about PMR.