RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Latest Podcast Topics pulled from these Forums!

Dave

guys, I really liked this show. great choice of topics to bring together.

and a wise observation that the next server edition is most likely going to cost more than

a discountable version, and so far nothing compelling has been revealed in its feature list.

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1

A few comments about  the old 'technet' program - it was advertised as something for 'evaluation' purposes. the fact that expiring license keys were a big turnoff shows that it wasn't really being used for that. In any case, if someone wants to really do evaluations, whether for server or client software (I will not comment on Office in this post), there are a number of 'evaluation versions' available at the microsoft site. The client evals tend to be shorter duration, but the servers can be re-armed sometimes up to 3-6 months. (try your favorite search engine for instructions). 

another way to avoid 'wasting' activations for short term experiments is to not even put the key in (if it will let you). Sometimes I end up wiping an install within a couple days and if I never put in the key, no big deal. The only down side of that (and microsoft people even suggest using that technique) is in some products you could not get windows updates unless you activated :(

just some thoughts...

I believe the term was 'evaluation and testing'. Testing can go on for a long time. For example, many corporations have banks of computers that are used to test patches and updates. These computers are never used for any production work: they're strictly to prevent MS and other vendors from bricking hundreds of computers in the company.

my comments are from the average guy's perspective, companies have some other options that are out of our reach. 

for technet (now defunct)

• You may install and use the software on your devices only to evaluate the software.
Edited by nrf