RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L RAID 5

Shuttleu

Hello,

I have been running a HP N54L Gen 7 for about a year now with two 1TB WD Red drives in RAID 1. However I have run out of space and now I am ready to take the plunge to go all out and get four 4TB WD Red drives and put them in a RAID 5 configuration.

Reading up on this I found that the server doesn't natively support RAID 5 and that I will need to get a new RAID controller in order to use hardware based RAID 5.

I have found a HP P410 on ebay with a 256mb cache upgrade on eBay for £35 (no battery)

From what I have read this card should support RAID 5, but i have a couple of questions which I could do with answers.

1. Is it just a case of plugging the P410 into a PCI-e slot and then moving the SAS cable from the motherboard to the P410?
  2. Does the RAID get configured the same way by pressing F10 on startup, or is there another utility that I should use?
  3. Will it support all four 4TB WD Red drives without an issue?

I'm not going to try to talk you out of RAID5, but have you considered one of the drive pooling programs, such as DrivePool or DriveBender? Either of them would cost less than a RAID card, and they offer data duplication at the folder level, so you can pick which data is mirrored.

Whatever option you choose, I hope you have a robust backup procedure in place, and are not relying on the RAID or drive pooling software to keep your data safe.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, I'm using Ubuntu Server which neither DrivePool or DriveBender supports.

The data is only TV shows, Movies and such media so I'm not too bothered about backing up.

I just want to merge all the drives together to create one large storage volume with at least some level of redundancy.

Edited by Shuttleu

Yep, no DP or DB on that setup :)

A RAID5 card would certainly be one way to go. Being that it's an N54L, I don't see any particular reason why the card should be an HP. On a Gen8 it would make a difference. Any decent RAID card should do: RocketRaid 2720, LSI board, etc.

Hello,

I have been running a HP N54L Gen 7 for about a year now with two 1TB WD Red drives in RAID 1. However I have run out of space and now I am ready to take the plunge to go all out and get four 4TB WD Red drives and put them in a RAID 5 configuration.

Reading up on this I found that the server doesn't natively support RAID 5 and that I will need to get a new RAID controller in order to use hardware based RAID 5.

I have found a HP P410 on ebay with a 256mb cache upgrade on eBay for £35 (no battery)

From what I have read this card should support RAID 5, but i have a couple of questions which I could do with answers.

1. Is it just a case of plugging the P410 into a PCI-e slot and then moving the SAS cable from the motherboard to the P410?
  2. Does the RAID get configured the same way by pressing F10 on startup, or is there another utility that I should use?
  3. Will it support all four 4TB WD Red drives without an issue?

1. Physicaly yes.

2. I like to use the offline ACU to boot the server to and configure it there

3. Yes- http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5070-hp-smart-array-p410-controller-34tb-drives/

4. Be sure to update the P410 to its latest firmware

5. You should try to get a battery, you will get lots of warnings without it.

1. Physicaly yes.

2. I like to use the offline ACU to boot the server to and configure it there

3. Yes- http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5070-hp-smart-array-p410-controller-34tb-drives/

4. Be sure to update the P410 to its latest firmware

5. You should try to get a battery, you will get lots of warnings without it.

That's great news. I can get hold of a battery for the module for £20 or I can get a 512mb cache with a battery for £40.

But will I see much (if any) difference between the 256mb and the 512mb cache if all I'm using it for is media files?

I'll have possibly 3-4 HD TV episodes and possibly a couple of HD movies added a week, so in total, possibly 20-25GB of data a week.

And is this the offline ACU your talking about?  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-aad98a00c0d6469d8abf78e2f3&mode=4&idx=1

Edited by Shuttleu

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have ordered the P410 for £50 with a 512mb cache and a battery.

Until I get round to buying the new HDDs, can I just plug the P410 in and move the cable to the P410 so until I get my new drives I can take advantage of the cache module.