RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cheap Intel Xeon E3-1265LV2 CPU

Harroguk

Just wanted to point people at this.

If you are (or know someone outside) of the EU then they can purchase a processor from Amazon.co.uk (or any of the various EU TLDs) and not pay tax on it.

In my case it reduced this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-E3-1265LV2-2-5GHz-Threads-LGA1155/dp/B00842JVRE/

From 226.44 GBP down to £188.70.

Yes you have to pay postage on top of this as Supersaver isn't available for international but at 10 GBP, it is still cheaper than paying the tax.

In theory you should pay tax on imports at your destination country but many countries the value has to be over a certain threshold (Singapore is 400 SGD or 200 GBP).

This was certainly the cheapest way I found to buy one of these to replace my G1610T, anyone else got any tricks for getting cheap parts?

I'm considering replacing the G1610T for a i3-3220T myself, so I'm curious about your experience and why are you looking to replace it?

Edited by Royco

The reason to replace it was purely for transcoding in plex. Previously my server struggled with transcoding a single 1080p stream now I can transcode 3, possibly more.

The only downside is temperature. With 30 degrees ambient here in Singapore it means that when I run at 100% for an extended time it gets waaaay hot (90 degrees plus) to that end I disabled the turbo boost until I can mount some fans to the stock heat sink as the one that came packaged doesn't fit to the mono.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm considering replacing the G1610T for a i3-3220T myself, so I'm curious about your experience and why are you looking to replace it?

MOAR POWAA!!!!!

In short, because I can, if I can find a CPU in stock that is, I have my supplier on the case, I am also looking at doing a load of MS course's on Hyper-V/System Center etc so a pokier box would be nice, If I cant find a CPU, or if I am limited to 16Gb RAM then I might ditch the Gen8 for something else, or just get something for home lab work and keep the Gen8 for storage and the two VM's that it is currently running (TorrentBox and Plex Server)..

• Like 1

You think they'll be that early?

Chances are they'll still use the 2 DIMM layout, question is will the new chipsets allow better RAM options, 16gb is the kind of figure I want in my Surface, not my server :(

so a pokier box would be nice,

Interesting. Where I am, pokier means slower, more plodding, trudging, as in "he's so slow you have to poke him with a stick to get him moving"... hence 'pokey'. So, in my country you are literally saying that a slow, plodding box would be nice :D