RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server not powering on after UPS AC power restored

Jason

Thanks for the update. Too bad about AC BACK. I wonder, if the settings were changed to Hibernate the server instead of shut it down, and then power was cut off, would the server autoboot when power is restored?

I'm thinking that hibernating the server would not cause any harm because everything in RAM is safely written to disk, so the system is basically in a 'down' state.

If Hibernate won't work, perhaps Sleep would?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Jason

• schoondoggy

• oj88

Top Posters In This Topic

I may experiment some more. Was my fault for thinking this universal BIOS option was something it wasn't. Instead it's for AC power that is lost abruptly.

How does everyone else have their server set on UPS? To shutdown gracefully before power lost? Do you just manually power it back on when that occurs?

Thanks ikon. If you wouldn't mind posting back on the behavior of your system for my own sanity :-)

1.) after it shuts down gracefully

2.) does the UPS turn off or stay on?

3.) when AC power returns to the UPS, does that server box turn on itself and start up with you having to press the power button manually?

I did open a support case with Gigabyte. They said the BIOS AC Back option should indeed power on the server after AC power restored regardless of a graceful shutdown or not. That's not the case with my PC.

Unfortunately no - not really. Doubt it's the power supply. It's a perfectly good Seasonic X650 in a Fractal Design Define XL full tower case. What would disconnecting the power and reset wires from the motherboard do? Or disconnecting the power switch wires and putting the reset switch wires on the power switch connector? Read this on a forum somewhere.

I have no idea what that would do. Sounds like voodoo to me. The only way that would make sense to me is if the Reset Switch was normally closed. Switching it to the Power Switch leads could effectively keep the Power Button permanently pushed.

But, I know for a fact that Reset Switches are not normally closed. I know because I've reset computers over the years by deliberately shorting the Reset Leads.

You probably meant that the system reset switch is normally open.

At some point in the past, I think I've worked with a few PCs that came with momentary-on switches for the reset button.

I agree that it is likely a board/BIOS issue.

Perhaps I worded it badly. I did say that the switches are normally open. or rather, I said that they are not normally closed, which is the same thing. What I was getting at is that it would only make sense to switch the Power and Reset button leads if they were wired opposite to each other: one normally open and one normally closed. But they're not, so it doesn't make sense that it would make a difference.