RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server not powering on after UPS AC power restored

Jason

Had a chance to run some tests. No matter what I do, the system won't power on when AC power restored when BIOS set to AC BACK = ALWAYS ON. Even if I bypass the UPS altogether and plug right into the wall. Otherwise the server runs fine. It simply won't power back on unless you physically press the power button on the chassis when it's in an off state.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Jason

• schoondoggy

• oj88

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Will check BIOS. Also in CyberPower's PowerPanel Business Edition 2.6 I set an option under Event Actions > Settings > Shutdown called "Also turn off UPS". Should that be set to YES or NO? I don't see any other power related options in the software.

I would set it to no but based on your last post it may not matter.

OK, here's a whacky idea. What about shorting the 2 pins that the power button connects to on the motherboard?

If you have a suitcase jumper (does anyone remember what they are?) it likely would fit. If not, maybe you have a spare power button, HDD LED, Reset, or other front panel cable that you could use to connect to the power button pins on the motherboard and then cut the wire leads short and twist them together.

Whacky indeed it might just work. :D

But there's a chance that the PC will turn on and then trigger an ACPI shutdown 4 seconds later. That actually happened to an old PC of mine when the power button got stuck in the ON position.

Whacky indeed it might just work. :D

But there's a chance that the PC will turn on and then trigger an ACPI shutdown 4 seconds later. That actually happened to an old PC of mine when the power button got stuck in the ON position.

It might indeed.

Not sure I totally follow these steps but I'll certainly try. For starters I need to ensure my power and reset wires are properly connected from chassis to motherboard. The power button seems to work but you never know...

Curious whether Wake on LAN (WOL) and AC BACK options in BIOS are related? I noticed my Server BIOS had WOL enabled but I never allow it to sleep. Could WOL be preventing AC BACK from working?

OK so it turns out my system is working correctly. AC BACK is only intended when AC power is lost abruptly and restored, the system will power back up.

It's not meant for a PC that shuts down gracefully on a CyberPower UPS unit.

Since the Server is plugged into the UPS with a USB cable, is there an option in CyberPower PowerPanel Business Edition software that will tell the the PC to turn on when power is restored? Or only if I set the server to Hibernate instead of Shutdown?