RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server not powering on after UPS AC power restored

Jason

My WSE12R2 box is on a Cyberpower sine wave UPS and shuts down gracefully when power is lost. However when AC power is restored to the UPS, the Server box isn't powering back on and starting up on its own. Instead I must be home to press the power button.

I believe this happens even if I set BIOS setting to Always On if power AC power restored or even last state.

Is there something else that must be configured?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Jason

• schoondoggy

• oj88

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things to try:

1. As schoondoggy said, make sure it's the latest BIOS

2. Toggle the option "Power On after Power Fail" off then on again

3. Take note of your current BIOS settings and reset it to defaults

4. Re-flash the BIOS again *

* I've had an issue with a Gigabyte board that suddenly started to randomly exhibit blank/black screen after it is switched on. I tried myriad of things to try and fix it.  Re-flashing the BIOS seemed to have done the trick.

Thanks. Will check BIOS. Also in CyberPower's PowerPanel Business Edition 2.6 I set an option under Event Actions > Settings > Shutdown called "Also turn off UPS". Should that be set to YES or NO? I don't see any other power related options in the software.

I would check to see if the UPS is actually powering up its outlets after a power failure. I would shut down and unplug your server from the UPS. Then I would plug a radio or lamp into that same outlet. Once I confirmed that the lamp is working I would unplug the UPS and let it shut down. Then I would plug the UPS back into the wall and see if the lamp comes back on automatically. This way, you would know for sure that power is getting to the server after a power failure.

That too. Although, when the OP said that "I must be home to press the power button", I assumed it was the PC's power button he was referring to, which may imply that the UPS is supplying power.

That too. Although, when the OP said that "I must be home to press the power button", I assumed it was the PC's power button he was referring to, which may imply that the UPS is supplying power.

Very possible. I was just trying to cover all the bases. I think the most likely possibility is the BIOS. If it doesn't detect the return of power and kick the start button ;) then all bets are off.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I intend to test these scenarios this weekend (starting with the BIOS - AC power always ON) and will echo back with results.