RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

V1 addin recommendations?

Shindigg

So my EX490 arrived today. In preparation for it I spent countless hours scouring around for the recovery disks and managed to find working links for the images. Immediately after unboxing I plopped in a hard drive in bay 1 and fired up the recovery. Everything went flawlessly, all updates are installed, and I'm good to go. Just wondering what useful addins the V1 veterans would recommend for a fresh install. I'm not as concerned about media streaming capabilities, as my primary server already handles that, but I'm willing to tinker(kind of why I got this box to begin with.) Also any are there any addins I should avoid?(broken functionality/etc.)? Let me know what you guys think!

Wow, I feel like it's 2010 all over again. :) I haven't used WHSv1 in 4 years. However, there are a few people around the forums who are still running it. For sure, there are more add-ins for v1 than 2011.

I think a fairly obvious add-in would be BDBB. It will help protect you system. If you want to conserve power by having your server go to sleep when not in use you could look at LightsOut.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, Advanced Admin Console; forgot about that one, but it's a great one. And, yeah, Stablebit Scanner is a good idea in a WHSv1 server, even more than 2011 I would say.

Haha thanks a lot guys. I had a feeling I'd be seeing you here Drashna. I'm already familiar with scanner,lights out, and Advanced admin console(been running them on my 2011 homebrew, as well as drivepool :D) Haha I think it might would be fun to tinker around with php and build a site on this thing as well. Should I be worried about exposing this thing to the net? I know official support for V1 ended some time ago, but server 2003 is still getting security patches.....at least for now. Eventually I'll probably move both my 2011 box and perhaps the 490 over to 2012R2(woot for dreamspark subscription!) just wanna have some fun and see what I missed with V1 before I do. Alas either way it's gonna be nice not having to worry about bricking my production box in the meantime. And as a side note, I know theres a way to get the lights working with 2011 and I think 2012 on this thing, but was there ever an update to that driver that fixed the issues with GPT disks?

Edited by Shindigg

I thought LightsOut was back in production, with versions all the way up to WSE2012R2.

yup it is. I think he was referring to WHSv1... unless I'm missing something.

Though I suspect that he may have been referring to the lights on the mediasmart server. 

If so... 

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/18458-hp-ex48x-lights-management-driver-for-whs-2011/

Just remember, you can't use GPT, or a pooling solution or it can/will break the functionality.