jetmech96

Server 2012 R2 now $349, buy now or wait?

15 posts in this topic

I am see that Windows 2012 Essential R2 is now down to $349 at both amazon and newegg.  Is this a preemptive step to clear out the 2012 version for the Server Next (10) Essentials?  If so should I wait and see or jump on the lower price or hold off.  I have been wanting to upgrade from WHS2011 for a while (especially after the meet up) and now the price is becoming way more tolerable.  I don't plan on spending that much again in the near future.  I don't want to drop the money to save $50, but end up being a cycle behind in a few months.  Any Thoughts?

1 person likes this

I'm not sure there will be a version of Server 10 that will have the client backup capability of WSE2012R2. If not, WSE2012R2 may be the last 'home server' version.

It's a good price; not sure if it will go even lower.

I'm not sure there will be a version of Server 10 that will have the client backup capability of WSE2012R2. If not, WSE2012R2 may be the last 'home server' version.

It's a good price; not sure if it will go even lower.

The Essentials role (if not SKU) is still present in Server 10, and slightly improved. So it's definitely sticking around.

Now, will there be a Server 10 Essentials SKU? That's hard to tell. I suspect there will be (it's a great selling point), but only time will tell.

That's good news. Hopefully, it will continue to be present into the release(s).

That's good news. Hopefully, it will continue to be present into the release(s).

Seconded. The Essentials SKU is by far one of the best decisions that Microsoft has made. But it's definitely behind releasing a HOME SERVER SKU. I still think they need that... but I've not been an MVP for a while...

Yeahhhhh, not getting my hopes up for a Home Server SKU.

or your breath.....

Outside of the business realm, this is strictly a tech enthusiast SKU, imo.  Home Server had to compete with Could Services and much less simpler solutions such as Synology, various Cloud Storage sites, etc.

I can say after making the upgrade to Essentials 2012R2, the joy of using RAID was rewarded.  Just install the driver for the card to access the GUI for the card and inspect the array.. 

How has the Essentials role been improved in Server 10?

I am see that Windows 2012 Essential R2 is now down to $349 at both amazon and newegg.  Is this a preemptive step to clear out the 2012 version for the Server Next (10) Essentials?  If so should I wait and see or jump on the lower price or hold off.  I have been wanting to upgrade from WHS2011 for a while (especially after the meet up) and now the price is becoming way more tolerable.  I don't plan on spending that much again in the near future.  I don't want to drop the money to save $50, but end up being a cycle behind in a few months.  Any Thoughts?

If S2012R2E has features/capabilities that you need/want now then investigate switching/upgrading.  

$349 is a good price for S2012R2E but if WHS2011 still does everything you want then it may be worth waiting to see how things shake out in the future.  Though I do suspect that BMR will not work well from WHS2011 with Win10 and future Win OS's.

I've kept my home production machine on WHS2011 for those reasons.

Make a list of the +'s and -'s for each OS to help you look at it objectively.

I'm sure its not within the MS licensing terms, but is there a chance that as companies move up to server 10 there may be a resale of older 2012R2 licenses on the market, or even cheap servers bundled with 2012 on them?