RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Auto-shutoff for high temperature?

brianmullins

Hey all,

My WHS sits in my garage due to no space in the house. Problem is, here in Portland, Oregon, we get some very hot summer days. My current method is to watch for these days and just turn the server off until things cool off. Not the most desirable thing to do, but necessary to keep the 4 HDD's I've got in the thing from smoking.

But I just had a idea, and wanted to see if anyone has done something similar or knows how I could do it. I've got the WHS on a batter backup, of course, and what I was thinking is what if I somehow got a device that plugged in between the wall and the battery backup, and the device would turn power off when the ambient temp in the garage reached a certain point?

Any ideas?

I think a device like this programmable thermoset is what you are talking about.

In theory it sounds like it should work. Run the thermostat outlet in heating mode and it should leave the outlet on until the set point temperature is reached. At that point it would go off and the UPS would keep the server powered until it reached a specific battery %. If you combined it with GridJunction then the system would shut down on its own.

Let us know if you decide to try it. You might also use the Remote Notification add-in to notify you when the server is running on the UPS and getting ready to shut-down in case you try to remote access your server. This way you would know it had shut down.

Which components are you worried about? the HD's or the CPU. I ask because with some of the overclocking I do the PC will normally shut itself down should the CPU ever reach a unsafe temp. At least on newer boards. I would first suggest installing a piece of software to monitor CPU temp to see how hot it actually gets. I believe you can push it up to about 50 C /122 F, any hotter than that and you'll likely start having issues and eventually hardware failure.

Just my 2 Cents..

Wade

Edited by Wade

Yes in most modern bioses (is that a word?) you can set a temp ceiling for the CPU and the ambient to turn the system off. Problem with that is it may hose up the OS on that machine with a hard off. Software that can monitor the temp and can shut down the server gracefully is the way go.

@Wade: I'm more concerned about the hard disks. The box I'm using is a recycled Dell Dimension desktop, not sure how old but probably more than 6 years, so I'm not even sure it has any ability to monitor CPU temp. Now, if there was software out there that would monitor the SMART data from the drives and shut it down when they get to hot, or run high for a period of more than, say, 10 minutes, I'd be interested.

@CablDeVil: Is there software you'd recommend that I could try with my POC Dell and see if it can monitor CPU temp?

Thanks,

CD

So this is out in the garage? Could you add some fans, perhaps even mod your case and put a really huge fan or two in there? Software monitoring is ok, but if it were able to stay cooler... Just a thought. Out in the garage, noise wouldn't be much of a consideration, right? Fill that baby up with fans.

I think one worry may be the ambient temperature might be pretty high. In my garage in Northern Illinois during the summer it can easily be +100F in the summer time. This is a combination of high outside temperature (high 90's+), an upright freezer, and the vehicles that I park in there (diesel truck). combined with no real ventilation unless the door is left open.

Yeah, here in Portland, OR, I also have high ambient temps in the garage, and that's my biggest issue these last few weeks. I'd say approaching 100F. Like cskenney, I have a refer, freezer, furnace, waterheater, and a west-facing garage door that gets sun from about 12:00-20:00 from June - August at least. Right now the 'server' (if you can call it that, really need to upgrade, which would help, I'm sure) sits on my work bench, cracked open all the way, with a 14" fan blowing at the hard drives 24x7. How's that for green? The spot I have planned for long-term is on a shelf that sits just to the right and above the furnace and water heater. I've contemplated ducting the furnace into the case for the summer since we have AC and it could help to cool, but I'd then have to be sure to have a very good damper to turn it off in the winter time. In reality, I'll probably never get to that. ]]