RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HELP! Issue Accessing a Specific Site from My Server

GavinCampbell

The DNS forwarder is set to router.asus.com which is my router.  The clients point to the same ip for their DNS as well.  So that machines.  Everything is setup to point to the router for DNS.

I used the router for DHCP instead of the server.

It looks like it wants to connect.  If I keep hitting refresh it seems to grab a few extra graphics at some point.  But for the most part I just see The connection was reset.

And if I turn on OpenVPN it works.

Very strange problem.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• GavinCampbell

• jeverian

I am having this EXACT same issue. thetvdb.com won't work for me for the past couple days. I've tried everything you have as well. It works fine from all the other computers on my network as well.

Guys, we need to isolate what's the same, and what's different between your machines that can access the site and those that can't. What about browsers? What browsers, and what versions, are you using on your various machines?

Guys, we need to isolate what's the same, and what's different between your machines that can access the site and those that can't. What about browsers? What browsers, and what versions, are you using on your various machines?

That is what I've been trying to figure out. I've tried all 3 browsers.  IE/Firefox and Chrome.  I've done full settings reset in IE.

Also what is strange is when I connect to an OpenVPN server on my server it works fine. 

I wonder if a patch broke something.  Time to review my patch history.

It's great to try different brands of browser, but I think the most important thing is to isolate what the differences are between your computers that can access the site and the one that can't. Take one computer that can access and the one that can't. Are they using the same version of browser? Can you identify any other differences?

It's great to try different brands of browser, but I think the most important thing is to isolate what the differences are between your computers that can access the site and the one that can't. Take one computer that can access and the one that can't. Are they using the same version of browser? Can you identify any other differences?

Nope.  Looked at the ipconfig settings and they both look identical.  I just uninstalled all january patches and its still broken.

I'm very close to just rebuilding this machine now and starting from scratch.  I think it has come to that.

I'm starting to think it may be something with Server2012ER2 and cloudflare.  The only differences between the working clients and the broken client is the OS.

I decided to rebuild the server from scratch.  I still have the same problem.

I decided to disable IPV6 on it.  Same problem.

Reset the router and then reset it to factory defaults.  Same problem.

Plugged the server directly into the internet to bypass all local network.  Same problem.

I give up.

I'm going to try to create a Win8 VM now on it and move all my apps to run off of that.

I'm starting to think it may be something with Server2012ER2 and cloudflare.  The only differences between the working clients and the broken client is the OS.

I decided to rebuild the server from scratch.  I still have the same problem.

I decided to disable IPV6 on it.  Same problem.

Reset the router and then reset it to factory defaults.  Same problem.

Plugged the server directly into the internet to bypass all local network.  Same problem.

I give up.

I'm going to try to create a Win8 VM now on it and move all my apps to run off of that.

You're confusing me ;). I said "I think the most important thing is to isolate what the differences are between your computers that can access the site and the one that can't" and you said "Nope", the IPCONFIG is identical. Now you say "The only differences between the working clients and the broken client is the OS".

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. If the OS on the computer that can't access the site is not the same as the OS' on the other computers, that's a big difference.

Have I got it right, or am I misunderstanding something?

You're confusing me ;). I said "I think the most important thing is to isolate what the differences are between your computers that can access the site and the one that can't" and you said "Nope", the IPCONFIG is identical. Now you say "The only differences between the working clients and the broken client is the OS".

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. If the OS on the computer that can't access the site is not the same as the OS' on the other computers, that's a big difference.

Have I got it right, or am I misunderstanding something?

Sorry.  You are right.  I thought you meant in terms of networking settings as that is what I was focusing on.

Yes.  The OS's are different.  Its Server 2012 ER2 that isn't working.  The clients that do work include Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I also just booted up an old VM install of Server 2012 R2 as well and that also does not work.  However my old VM of Windows 7 that I also just booted up does work.

So I am only having no luck accessing the sites from Server 2012 R2 installs.  Very strange.

Thanks for clearing it up. You have to remember, I'm old ;).

I can say that my Win8.1 desktop cannot access the site by IP with either IE or FF. It's also blocked from my WHS2011 using IE and  my wife's Win7 computer using IE.