RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HELP! Issue Accessing a Specific Site from My Server

GavinCampbell

Ok Guys,

I have a really strange problem and have been banging my head on my desk over it for that last day.  For some reason my server can no longer access two sites that I use frequently in scripts that run on that server.  It just seemed to happen in the last week and I don't know of anything that I have changed.  One of them is thetvdb.com.

I can ping them and everything looks fine but if I try to go to them in firefox/chrome or IE I get the dreaded "connection reset" error messages.  These sites work perfectly fine on all of my other machines in the house. I can access other sites on this machine just fine.  Just these two sites I can't.

Some of the things I have tried include:

1. flushing dns
  2. resetting the ip stack
  3. resetting all IE settings and firefox settings
  4. logging in with a different profile
  5. tracert looks all good
  6. checked the hosts file all looks good
  7. switching over to the onboard network card
  8. changing dns to point to google servers
  9. changing dns to point to itself
  10. rebooted the router
  11. rebooted the server MANY TIMES

I am at a complete loss now.  So before I decide to go and rebuild this thing from scratch I figured I would come here first.

Any ideas?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• GavinCampbell

• jeverian

so does ipv6 figure into this in any way? have you tried both varieties of ping (-4 and -6) ?

I've disabled IPV6 on the router to help troubleshoot.  I can type the IP into the browser of the site but the site does not like that.  It blocks the using of visiting it via IP so I have to use the domain name.

Pinging it from the command line works and its all in ipv4.

You can't connect to the site via IP? That makes no sense to me. In reality, all sites are reached using the IP. That's the way it works. That's why DNS is required in order to use a friendly name. The job of a DNS is to translate friendly names into IP addresses so that sites can be reached.

If you PING the site and use the IP it comes back with, you have to be able to reach the site. When you try to reach it by IP, make sure to put HTTP:// in front of the IP address.

You can't connect to the site via IP? That makes no sense to me. In reality, all sites are reached using the IP. That's the way it works. That's why DNS is required in order to use a friendly name. The job of a DNS is to translate friendly names into IP addresses so that sites can be reached.

If you PING the site and use the IP it comes back with, you have to be able to reach the site. When you try to reach it by IP, make sure to put HTTP:// in front of the IP address.

I guess its the way they set up their hosting.  Try it.  Ping www.thetvdb.com and then try that ip address.  You will get an screen "Error 1003 Direct IP access not allowed".

Ok.  So it looks like it may not be on my end.

Both of the sites I am having issues with (ballstreams.com and thetvdb.com) are both hosted on cloudflare which give the same error if I try to connect via IP address directly.

I just installed open VPN on the server went out through that and everything is working.   So it looks like an issue between my provider and cloudflare. 

But what is really strange is why it works fine on all of my other computers and just not on the server.

OK, I get what you mean. The problem is that 141.101.123.81 is not the real IP for www.thetvdb.com. Their site is being hosted behind CloudFlare's proxy servers. CloudFlare takes over the DNS record and has it point to their servers. So, you would be able to reach www.thetvdb.com directly by its IP address, if you only knew what that address really is.

It is possible to find out the real IP. Here's one way: http://blog.lysender.com/2013/04/log-real-ip-address-with-cloudflare-and-nginx/, and another one: http://sakhackingarticles.blogspot.ca/2014/06/bypass-cloudflare-to-get-real-ip.html.

BTW, you would have the same problem trying to connect to homeservershow.com :D

I'm a little puzzled by your other computers being able to do it. Are they using the same browser? The same version? Same OS?

have you tried running "nslookup" on the server, and on a client? Make sure that it resolves to the same IP address.

have you tried running "nslookup" on the server, and on a client? Make sure that it resolves to the same IP address.

Just did a nslookup.  It returns two IP address for ballstreams.com but the order on the server is different to the order on the client.  Would that signal anything?

It very much could. For the second set (the name server), are the clients using the server? 

Do you know what you're using for the DNS forwarder on the server?

If you don't, open the DNS console (in Administrative Tools, in the control panel under "System and Settings). Right click on the server name and select the "Properties". Go to the "Forwarders" tab.  Make sure this matches either your router's, your ISP's or your custom chosen (such as OpenDNS) DNS servers.

In fact, if you're client is not using the server as the DNS server (eg, if the second set of info isn't point to the server's IP Address), then make sure that the forwarder's on the server are set to whatever the client is using.