RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver Gen 8 - Does not recognize SATA disks

brazoai1

Hi everybody, I'm sorry it would be a rather silly question but I searched almost everywhere without success. I recently buyed an HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8, I successfully installed Windows 2012 R2 on a SSD connected to the ODD port. I thought it was the most difficult part, but it was the easiest instead. Now I'm trying to recognize SATA disks over the B120i but no matter what I do I always get no physical disk in ACU but the SSD. I've also tried to remove the SSD and start with just the SATA disks, but no luck again. I've also tried AHCI and Legacy SATA again without success. Lastly I've tried different SATA disks (Seagate Barracuda and WD) but guess what? No way the B120i still doesn't recognize them. So here the question: where am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance and sorry again for the probably well known question, but I can't imagine any other support site could give me the right answer. By the way I know I am missing some details (such as disks model number or so), but I'm not at home at the moment. If needed I can provide them tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Aieie

Check the cable from the drive cage to the motherboard, particularly the connector that plugs into the motherboard. A number of people have had issues where it looked like the connector was plugged into the socket on the motherboard, but it actually wasn't fully inserted. You do have to open up the chassis to do this. It would also be a very good idea to have a small flat-blade screwdriver handy, to push the locking tab on the connector.

Bottom, if no drives are being recognized in any of the slots, it's very likely that it's the connector.

:o Ikon.,, Double checked the cable after your post with an image of the Gen 8 internals and the cable was inserted the wrong way (front to rear). The strange thing is I'm quite sure nobody have touch it after the delivery... Even more strange because the same defect is on a second Gen 8 I bought for the office... Thanks Ikon, you know, often the most obvious answer is the right one but it's not considered... Anyway I will investigate to find a "too-much-curious" collegue that surely have changed the cable position. Again.

Aieie

Yeah absolutely... I would feel a little bit dumb if only the second server had not had the same identical "defect". Has anyone ever had a similar experience? :blink:  

Hey, seriously, no one here should feel dumb. We've all been there. Think about it; the only reason I was able to immediately suggest checking the cable is because you're not the first, second, or even the third person to have issues with that connector. Trust me, you're in good company :)