RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Gen 8 vs Ex-495 with Q9550s

T-Bone

Im thinking about updating my WHS with new hardware. Im not interested in building, if I was It would be rack mountable.

Based on my current server is the gen8 worth the upgrade? I am Currently running a HP EX-495 with a intel Q9550s processor with WS2012E R2. I have read a lot on this site but think im drowning in info having a hard time making up my mind.

LOL, yeah, I can see where you could be overwhelmed with info. I guess the first thing I would ask is whether or not you really need the small form factor of the Gen8. It is a really nice, compact box, but that size does impose some constraints, so do you actually need it?

4GB RAM is a bit tight for Server 2012R2.  That's the main stumbling block with the EX495.

If it's working for you now, I don't think it's worth the bother upgrading to the Gen8, they're even fussier than the old machines.

Edited by HellDiverUK

Not that I would necessarily replace it just to replace it, but I would be thinking about what I would want to do to replace the EX495. It could be almost 6 years old now, so it likely will start to fail in the next year or two. I would just be starting to plan ahead is all.

I have a spare ex495 that is stock and barely has any time on it at all, I got it new before finding the Q9550s. Planning ahead was really my point to this tread. I like the look of the Gen8. I have also thought about running one of the new mac pro's (nice but expensive). I have a iPhone and a macbook pro. There are things I like and don't like about macs but the same goes for windows. 

To answer your first question about if I need the small form factor? no I don't need it but its nice. Currently I'm running a 5 bay external enclosure on the 495. If i went bigger I would go with a rack mount unit. I have a wall mount cabinet in my garage for a network build out I'm planning at my house. Im going to use this location for homerun. 

I don't need the small size either, so I went with a larger, Lian Li box. I have set up an N40L for a small business and I'm glad I didn't have to fit more than the 4 drives into it. The size of the chassis would have made things challenging. It's just easier to work on, expand, and cool a larger chassis, such as a mid tower.