RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ikon

DrivePool and NTFS Mounts

ikon

Drashna, just thought of something. How does using NTFS Mounts affect DrivePool? I realize DP doesn't need drive letters in order to do it's job, but can it work with a drive that's mounted in an NTFS Mount folder? Can a DP Pool Drive be mounted in an NTFS Mount folder?

Drashna Jaelre

Drashna, just thought of something. How does using NTFS Mounts affect DrivePool? I realize DP doesn't need drive letters in order to do it's job, but can it work with a drive that's mounted in an NTFS Mount folder? Can a DP Pool Drive be mounted in an NTFS Mount folder?

Not at all. There is no effect. Specifically, we don't look at the mount point, but the Volume ID of the partition (which every partition is supposed to have).

In fact, I mount the pooled disks to folders in my server, because it's just more organized (I may be OCD).

And it looks like the pool works just fine when mounted to a folder (but I'm not sure how well tested this is)

ikon

OK, so the drives get mounted to NTFS folders, and added to a DP pool, and they can be accessed as a pool through the DP drive letter, or individually via the NTFS mounts? IOW, the NTFS mounts take the place of drive letters?

Drashna Jaelre

Yes, basically.

Actually, both the folder and the drive letters are "mount points", technically.

If you run "mountvol", you'll see a bunch of Volume IDs, and most of the disks will have a mount point listed, be it a drive letter (like C:\, or D:\) or a folder path. That's how YOU access the disks. 

Some won't, like the 100-300MB system reserved partition, a server backup disk, and the recovery partitions (in windows 8). These do not receive a mount point intentionally, to keep YOU from accessing them.

However, most disk tools can access the volumes by using the Volume IDs (including CHKDSK). They don't need a mount point as long as they have access to the disk via the Volume IDs. In fact, that's how DrivePool accesses the disks. We ONLY use the Volume IDs, so you can change the mount points at any time without adversely affecting the Pool (as these Volume IDs don't ever change... normally).

But mounting a disk to a folder path means that any files created in that folder  goes to the specific volume instead of the volume that the folder resides on. 

ikon

I think of NTFS Mount Points as Symbolic Links.