RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
lottathought

Need advice on deleting Drive letters..where to put folders?

lottathought
I am currently upgrading my Server. I had a WHS Vers. 1 before and I am moving over to a new build with Windows 8.1 Pro.

Some details on the new build are this..

The OS and Drivepool/Scanner are running on a SSD. There is nothing else on this drive.

All the files are pooled together on other drives.

I am running into an issue that I could use some advice on.

As I am adding new drives, I am seeing the potential of maxing out the alphabet. Therefore I plan to remove the drive letters and create folders for the drives.

I understand how to do this part.

What I am not sure on is....where do I put the folders?  I am considering the C: drive. Plenty of room as it only has the OS and the pooling software. The folders on the SSD should help with the zip factor too.

But one of the things that I want however is to allow myself the option of being able to either upgrade to a new OS one day. 

Or perhaps the OS will somehow get corrupt and need to be reinstalled.

I am trying to understand the impact of the folders being on this drive if that drive were to go down for any reason.

I have considered other drives too...but none are any more immune to crashing than the OS drive.

What does everybody advise here?  Where should I place the folders?

jmwills

Keep your data off the same drive as the OS.

ikon

I'm a little puzzled. What folders are you asking about? If your data is on drives other than the SSD, aren't they in folders already? Oh, and what he said ^^.

jmwills

I can't understand why you want to put every golder on a separate volume.

ikon

JW, I'm wondering if he's saying 'folders' when he really means 'shares'.

Al_Borges

For my drive pool arrays, I did not assign drive letters for individual drive - no need to

( I have a drive names consisting of sata port and drive bay S1B4 for ex) when you build the drive pool drive pool assigns a drive Letter and you build your folders within that

I can add or remove a drive without affecting any folder mapping on my server.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

ikon

I'm still not clear on exactly what the OP is asking?

lottathought

My fault..I should have explained what I was talking about a little more clearly.

When in Disc Management, you can delete the drive letter and mount the path to an NTSF folder.

My understanding is that by not just deleting the letters .....and by also adding this new Folder path, the OS will continue to do chkdsk, etc.  (If this is not correct, please let me know)

My question was where to put the folders that I will be changing the new drive paths to point to.

Edited by lottathought

Drashna Jaelre

What does everybody advise here?  Where should I place the folders?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

I would recommend using "C:\DrivePool\", and then mount the disks as "i01", "i02", etc. Or an otherwise meaningful format.

I'm still not clear on exactly what the OP is asking?

He's asking how/where he should mount the disk. 

Specifically, since you can mount the disks to a folder path... 

Personally, I use what I've outlined above, since i have a rackmount and 20 bays. That lets me know which pay the disk is in without having to check.

However, you may want to use something like "C:\DrivePool\Internal\Disk1", etc. Or "C:\DrivePool\External\Disk1", C:\DrivePool\Bay2\Disk1, etc.

You can be super organized here, if you want. But I would recommend keeping everything in a subfolder at least. That way you know what they're being used for.

Also, mounting a disk to a folder takes up a single 4k cluster, IIRC. Just enough info for the metadata and that's it. So you could have hundreds without any issues.

ikon

Unless you're planning to have dozens of drives in the chassis, I wouldn't bother with NTFS Mounts. For a home installation (Drashna's doesn't really count as a 'home' installation: he has more storage than most small businesses, or small countries for that matter :P) I think they're overkill. Not that there's anything wrong with them; I just don't think they're necessary for most home situations.