RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Adurbe

Dell T20 PowerSupply

Adurbe

Firstly, hello all!

I recently got a Dell T20 as a consolidation of my home desktop and n54l systems so its built a bit as a menagerie of parts.

SATA Drives;

1.5TB Toshiba 15k (boot) 

2x 1TB WB Black Enterprise

3TD WD RED

Graphics Card,

Asus GT630 passive pciX(x16)

RAM

16GB ECC

Currently have Windows 10 running on it.

I was considering also adding in a 2.5" 64G Samsung 830 SSD I have floating about.  In order to add this I have but the cables to then split the Sata power and connector and am concerned that adding this extra drive might be the straw that a camel's back (camels back being an on paper low 290w PSU).  

Has anyone had any experience with loading the system up and how well the PSU copes (if at all).

p.s. The internals of the system Look remarkably like those of the Precision T1650.  Would an option be to swap the 290w for a T1650's 320w?

HellDiverUK

You're unlikely to be using much more than 80-90W peak on that machine.  The 290W PSU is more than adequate.

Each 7200rpm drive uses 8W, the 15k drive probably more like 12W.  The GT630 uses about 10W.  Board, RAM and CPU 20-40W.

For example, my Lenovo TS140 (which is very similar to the T20) with 2x5TB Toshiba MG0 (enterprise 7200rpm drives), a 4TB Seagate, 2x SSDs, 16GB RAM, Xeon E3-1225v3, DVD drive and M1015 uses 42W with all the drives spinning.  When it's transcoding in Plex off the drives, it uses up to 75W.  

The 290W PSU would run a gaming machine with a big GPU no problems.  People on the most part never need these 1kW PSUs.  My gaming machine with a GTX760, an i5 overclocked to 4.7GHz, water cooler, two drives, runs off a 450W PSU and only draws 200W from the mains at absolute peak running benchmarks.

• Like 1

ikon

GT 630 thermal specs from nVidia page:

Graphics card version                              GT 630 D3     GT 630 G5     GT 630 (Kepler)

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)                    98 C               98 C               90 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)                 49 W               65 W              25 W

Minimum System Power Requirement (W)      300 W             300 W            300 W

Link to the page: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-630/specifications

Generally, when choosing a PSU, I look first at the GPU. Graphics cards are one of the biggest power suckers in a computer, generally.

HellDiverUK

GT630 is just a GT610 with different RAM, and I can tell you they only add 10W max at the wall - I have one in my HTPC and it adds less than 5W doing HTPC stuff.

Taffeys

As HellDiverUK said, it’s unlikely that you’ll need a higher output PSU.

I decided I did given my T20 has 32GB RAM, a Xeon E3-1276v3, a LSI 9211-8i, 6 x 4TB Seagate ST4000VN000 NAS HDDs (working on squeezing a 7th in), 3 SSDs, and additional fans. So I searched and found a Dell 365W PSU. This PSU is from the Precision T1700 and Optiplex XE2 Towers (and probably other lines). Here are the details:

Dell part number T1M43

DellSpareParts.info site part number 277619

Dell short spare part description: PWR SPLY,365W,MT,EPA,DLTA
Dell functional spare part description: Power Supply, 365W, Mini Tower, EPA, Delta
Dell alternate spare part number 
7VK45

This is an 80 Plus Gold rated PSU. Dell says this PSU supports “one PCI Express® x16 Gen 3 graphic card up to 150W (total for graphics)”. It has one 6-pin PCIe card connector, which the Dell 290W PSU does not have.

365WPSU1_zps90c9273e.jpg

365WPSU2_zps8ccebc3d.jpg

365WPSU3_zps2661213e.jpg

• Like 1

Adurbe

Thanks for all your replies!  I am a happier at this stage that I wont push the system over its limits.  Power usage is still a bit of a dark art to work out for me so very grateful for the input!

koulis1984

Hi All 

I have a quick question .

I am planning on using the Dell T20 motherboard on a larger case to accommodate 8  HDD via an lsi controller ,4 SSD on the motherboard controller and 1 AMD GPU for an esxi passthrough.

I would like to use a different power supply , an EVGA 650G in this case , and I am baffled with the 2 power connectors on the mother board. There is an 8 pin which I have connect to the cpu1 rail on my psu and a 4 pin supply which I have connected to the cpu2 rail of my cpu.

Unfortunately I do not have a multimeter to measure the power on the original dell psu to make sure I will not fry everything.

Has anyone tried using a non dell psu on this mobo?

2015-10-11.jpg

IMG_20151011_152149-picsay.jpg

IMG_20151011_173300-picsay.jpg

IMG_20151011_173413-picsay.jpg

• Like 1

MasterGeekTroll

Hi All 

I have a quick question .

I am planning on using the Dell T20 motherboard on a larger case to accommodate 8  HDD via an lsi controller ,4 SSD on the motherboard controller and 1 AMD GPU for an esxi passthrough.

I would like to use a different power supply , an EVGA 650G in this case , and I am baffled with the 2 power connectors on the mother board. There is an 8 pin which I have connect to the cpu1 rail on my psu and a 4 pin supply which I have connected to the cpu2 rail of my cpu.

Unfortunately I do not have a multimeter to measure the power on the original dell psu to make sure I will not fry everything.

Has anyone tried using a non dell psu on this mobo?

Yeah mate, you shouldn't have any problems, I've heard a lot of guys in our club changing the case of this machine and using different psu. Get on it and post some pics for our delight!