RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ad Blockers

Drashna Jaelre

That's good to know. Thanks Drashna.

Right now, I'm close to jump ship and run Sophos UTM. I just updated my pfSense from v2.1.5 to 2.2 last night and boy was it a mistake. HAVP/ClamAV, SquidGuard3 and IPSec VPN stopped working post-update. I'll try to do a clean install or a rollback tonight and see if I can get everything back to working order. Otherwise, I've just been given a very good reason to try out Sophos.

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. :(

And this is one of the major reasons I dislike linux.... Updating is a nightmare .... even if you know what you're doing. 

A lot of developers code for a specific version of components, so any change breaks everything. And then you're stuck waiting on a fix, or have to go fix it yourself....

That's why I like the "turnkey linux" solutions, such as Sophos and Android. Everything has been tested and updates together. No worrying about this stuff (mostly).

Also, Squid is just a switch in Sophos. That's what power's the "web filter". And it's dead simple.

Also, it has a "scan" and a "decrypt and scan" options for HTTPS. This works really well, in either mode. Though the decrypt requires a CA cert (you know, like Server Essentials! :P). 

And this is what does the ad blocking. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• Poppapete

• oj88

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wife's computer, tablet, phone, Your computer, tablet, phone, Son's computer, tablet, phone, Daughter's computer, tablet, phone, Xbox, PS3, PS4, HTPC, server, TV, Baby monitor, router, printer,

Thanks for that. But actually, pfSense runs FreeBSD, not Linux... Then again, poteyto-potahto. :D

I was able to roll back to 2.1.5 from a config backup that night and everything's back to the way they were. I see a lot of traffic on the pfSense forums where a lot of people apparently is in the same boat I am. The more skilled ones were able to fix some of the issues using elaborate scripts or 'dev' versions of packages. Sadly, most of the steps involved are simply way over my head.

Drashna Jaelre

Thanks for that. But actually, pfSense runs FreeBSD, not Linux... Then again, poteyto-potahto.

I was able to roll back to 2.1.5 from a config backup that night and everything's back to the way they were. I see a lot of traffic on the pfSense forums where a lot of people apparently is in the same boat I am. The more skilled ones were able to fix some of the issues using elaborate scripts or 'dev' versions of packages. Sadly, most of the steps involved are simply way over my head.

Yes, yes, see below.

I'm glad to hear that you had a config backup to restore to. ALways good to backup everything. :)

And that's PRECISELY what I was referring to....

I suspect Drashna meant "And this is one of the major reasons I dislike *ix..." :)

To clarify (I'm going to add this to my signature now).... when I say "linux", I mean "*NIX/UNIX based operating systems". That means Linux, BSD, UNIX, etc.