RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PCEddie

What Web Host Provider Do You Use?

PCEddie

Hey All,

I am thinking of moving my current web site to a web host provider and create the web site using WordPress. I do have some experience with web sites but I am still a novice. What web host provider do you use to host your web site? What services should I be looking for when selecting a web host provider? I don't expect the web site to generate a lot of traffic but I want my side business presence to be better represented on the internet.

Thanks for any information.

Matthew Guay

I just recently moved my site www.techinch.com to DreamHost this month after having quite a bit of trouble with my old host, MochaHost. I can't speak for everyone, and once again I've only been with them for almost 2 weeks, but DreamHost has been great sofar. Almost perfect uptime, speed is great, and even live tech support chat that knows what they're talking about integrated into the dashboard. I've heard people say they can have trouble if you're hosting a site with massive traffic on the shared hosting plan, but that's to be expected. If you decide to check it out, let them know that I refered you and enter my email maguay@live.com in the referral box ;)

On things to look for, I'd look for what limits the company puts on shared hosting plans. Many of them claim unlimited everything, but then don't tell you what they'll cut you off for. That's what happened with my old host; they said my site was taking up too much CPU time, and just pulled it offline. DreamHost actually lets you see the performance of your MySQL database, which is the most common thing people have trouble with on shared hosting with WordPress. They have told me they will let you know if you're site is using too many system resources and help your fix it rather than just pulling it offline, though again, I've only been with them for 2 weeks, so that's not enough time to really know.

Depending on your needs, though, a WordPress.com blog might be sufficient. If you want a static front page for a company site, with blog posts on another page, you can set that up fairly easily. We've got quite a few posts about getting a site going on there on Howtogeek.com, so you might want to check it out. If you're just wanting a blog, Tumblr might be the very simplest and nicest looking way to get started, and we've got tutorials about it too. But again, this would depend on your needs ... I wanted to host my own WordPress site so I could have more flexibility and use whatever themes and plugins I wanted.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Edited by Matthew Guay

PCEddie

I just recently moved my site www.techinch.com to DreamHost this month after having quite a bit of trouble with my old host, MochaHost. I can't speak for everyone, and once again I've only been with them for almost 2 weeks, but DreamHost has been great sofar. Almost perfect uptime, speed is great, and even live tech support chat that knows what they're talking about integrated into the dashboard. I've heard people say they can have trouble if you're hosting a site with massive traffic on the shared hosting plan, but that's to be expected. If you decide to check it out, let them know that I refered you and enter my email maguay@live.com in the referral box ;)

On things to look for, I'd look for what limits the company puts on shared hosting plans. Many of them claim unlimited everything, but then don't tell you what they'll cut you off for. That's what happened with my old host; they said my site was taking up too much CPU time, and just pulled it offline. DreamHost actually lets you see the performance of your MySQL database, which is the most common thing people have trouble with on shared hosting with WordPress. They have told me they will let you know if you're site is using too many system resources and help your fix it rather than just pulling it offline, though again, I've only been with them for 2 weeks, so that's not enough time to really know.

Depending on your needs, though, a WordPress.com blog might be sufficient. If you want a static front page for a company site, with blog posts on another page, you can set that up fairly easily. We've got quite a few posts about getting a site going on there on Howtogeek.com, so you might want to check it out. If you're just wanting a blog, Tumblr might be the very simplest and nicest looking way to get started, and we've got tutorials about it too. But again, this would depend on your needs ... I wanted to host my own WordPress site so I could have more flexibility and use whatever themes and plugins I wanted.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Good Morning Matthew Guay,

You must of been reading my mind when you read my post :). I was planning on using WordPress to create my web site. I have taken a look at your web site and it is very nice. I am very impressed with your web site and have to ask if your web site was created using WordPress?

The purpose of my web site is to professional present my side business (fixing computers). My current web site is http://pceddie.tech.officelive.com/default.aspx. I wanted to get my side business on the internet but now I feel that I want to take my web site to the next level. I have basic knowledge of creating web sites but I am currently reading the dummy book on WordPress to get my somewhat up to speed on WordPress.

I have the How to Geek web site bookmarked and view it on a daily basis. I will look for the WordPress articles on the web site.

Currently I have been looking at inmotion hosting to host my web site. I have not made my final decision on which web host to use. I will read the reviews of DreamHost and make my decision within the next few weeks.

Thanks again for responding to my post,

PC Eddie

Dave

I think this the most loaded question on the Internet. It's like choosing a car. Not one single car is good for everybody and the same car may run different for different people. Having said that, the hosts mentioned so far are good. Personally, I'll never return to shared hosting but I understand that Virtual hosting is higher in cost and not justifiable for most sites.

Matthew, that is a nice theme you have on your site. PC Eddie, always look at the footer to see if there is any WP info. If not view the source and you can usually find the theme in use on a site. I love WP and have been using it since the early days.

If you want to tinker with VPS hosting I suggest KnownHost. This is an affiliate link but I also use them. Take a look at their price and options.

KnownHost.com link

Matthew Guay

You're definately right. Reviews of hosting services are a mess, and truthfully most shared hosting services are going to have their problems. I've had 2 shared hosting plans that were just a mess; slow, little/no support, tons of downtime, etc. But, VPS was (is) beyond my budget, which is why I ended up going with Dreamhost. It's been good so far, so here's to hoping it'll keep working good until I am ready to go VPS :)

Thanks for the compliments on my site. It is a WordPress-powered site, and the theme was actually just purchased. I need to make a more unique theme + branding, but hey, it works good for now!

Alvin Ramard

You're definately right. Reviews of hosting services are a mess, and truthfully most shared hosting services are going to have their problems. I've had 2 shared hosting plans that were just a mess; slow, little/no support, tons of downtime, etc. But, VPS was (is) beyond my budget, which is why I ended up going with Dreamhost. It's been good so far, so here's to hoping it'll keep working good until I am ready to go VPS smile.gif

Thanks for the compliments on my site. It is a WordPress-powered site, and the theme was actually just purchased. I need to make a more unique theme + branding, but hey, it works good for now!

You, and whoever else said that, are correct when you say reviews are a mess. One reason for that is that not everyone has the same requirements. I recently signed up with one company that should be fine for the basic stuff. I know that down the road I'll be wanting to use some of the newer ASP.Net stuff. The best this company offers is .NET 2.0. I'll have to change hosting companies for .NET 4.0. I signed up for a cheap short term plan so that switching in the future won't cost me an arm and a leg.

So, read the reviews with caution. If they don't mention the technologies you require/desire then ask yourself if the reviews are really worth considering.

Just my 3 cents worth.

mrossco

I'll have to change hosting companies for .NET 4.0. I signed up for a cheap short term plan so that switching in the future won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Give CrystalTech a shot. If you're specifically looking at custom .NET, they've got good pricing and are very good about keeping up with Microsoft.

Alvin Ramard

Give CrystalTech a shot. If you're specifically looking at custom .NET, they've got good pricing and are very good about keeping up with Microsoft.

Will do. Thanks

csford

I've been using Dreamhost for about the last year and half. Been happy so far.

Matthew Guay

I've been using Dreamhost for about the last year and half. Been happy so far.

Good, glad to hear it. I'd heard lots of good reviews before I switched, so I'm really hoping it will work out great over time. At any rate, it's been good so far, and their tech support has been amazingly helpful. Like a breath of fresh air compared to my former host... :)