RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hello all! Could I ask for a bit of advice on my first 2012R2 home server.

calmasacow

Just to add a recent experience to the mix, I'd also recommend a nuke and rebuild. I have a Thecus W5000 and blithely following the initial configuration wizards before realising that it had created a .local domain, whereas I wanted to use my own. I went through a rendom process but found that afterward I still had a fair number of references in the registry, and on the system disk structure, to .local (many of which were related to certification). Fortunately I'd not taken the configuration much further, just done some benchmarking, and it didn't cost me much to revert back to the factory configuration and start again.

Precisely.

As for PDCs being CAs? I don't think it's a requirement, but the Essentials SKU absolutely requires it.

For instance, I use "LANDSRAAD" as the domain name. My server's name is ARRAKIS (see the theme already? :) ). My HTPC is CALIDAN, my NVR (blue iris box) is IX, the gaming PC is GEIDI PRIME, and my desktop is TLEILAX.

If you haven't picked up on the theme, it's from Dune. The planet names, and "Landsraad" is the organization of the House or families (dutch for "land owner" or fief lord, basically)

I like the naming here. I believe I only read the first Dune book, but it was pretty epic. My servers and PCs have names like theshire, Rivendell, and Rohan. :)

I must be too staid, mine are all named by manufacturer and model number/name - of course it helps that I've not bought from the same manufacturer in the last decade or more and thus have kit from roughly fourteen different makers on the network :)

I like the naming here. I believe I only read the first Dune book, but it was pretty epic. My servers and PCs have names like theshire, Rivendell, and Rohan. 

Loved the books. Read them for the first time in sixth grade. Have reread them a couple of times since. Fantastic read. Though, very dry.

I read up til chapterhouse.... but really, if you want to read, stop at God Emperor, as Frank Herbert died while writing that. Everything after it is by his son and just not the same quality.

And LOTR locations is a great scheme. 

Okay, mine are Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo.

From what I've seen, this is surprisingly common. Nothing wrong with that, but just very common.

I must be too staid, mine are all named by manufacturer and model number/name - of course it helps that I've not bought from the same manufacturer in the last decade or more and thus have kit from roughly fourteen different makers on the network 

There is nothing wrong with that at all. Makes it easier to identify which system is which. And THAT is the important part. ;)

My system names are boring, like me. What can I say, I hate The Big Bang Theory. 

lol. You, boring. I'll believe it when I see it. :P

I guess if I was to come up with a naming scheme, I would name the first server Pi. After that, I would probably start naming them things like CherryPi, PumpkinPi, ApplePi, etc.....

I guess if I was to come up with a naming scheme, I would name the first server Pi. After that, I would probably start naming them things like CherryPi, PumpkinPi, ApplePi, etc.....

Good scheme until I saw that last one.