RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hello all! Could I ask for a bit of advice on my first 2012R2 home server.

calmasacow

No, its a PDC.

That's not right.

Even if it's a PDC, it's ALSO a Certificate Authority. I checked on my server, and it DEFINITELY locks you out from changing the name.

This is BECAUSE of the Certificate Authority role, in fact.

It may be different on Server Standard with the Essentials role though, as that's a completely different beast.

It may be different on Server Standard with the Essentials role though, as that's a completely different beast.

Because Server Standard isn't necessarily a PDC, right? Are all PDC's, by definition, also Cert Authorities?

Because Server Standard isn't necessarily a PDC, right? Are all PDC's, by definition, also Cert Authorities?

Precisely.

As for PDCs being CAs? I don't think it's a requirement, but the Essentials SKU absolutely requires it.

However, it does look like Standard installs the CA role, as well. So if it is the only DC in the domain, and you install essentials, you're stuck.

The take away here?

If you use Essentials, sit and plan your network naming scheme before you complete the wizard.

And yes, you should use a theme, it makes identification and naming easier.

For instance, I use "LANDSRAAD" as the domain name. My server's name is ARRAKIS (see the theme already? :) ). My HTPC is CALIDAN, my NVR (blue iris box) is IX, the gaming PC is GEIDI PRIME, and my desktop is TLEILAX.

If you haven't picked up on the theme, it's from Dune. The planet names, and "Landsraad" is the organization of the House or families (dutch for "land owner" or fief lord, basically)

I hope you mean the book and not the movie, because the movie was.... well, do I really need to say it??

Which movie. Because I really enjoyed the 80's one (the one with Patrick Steward and Sting. :) )

Also, which books, because after  Frank Herbert died, his son and somebody else continued writing (and those books were pretty terrible in comparison).

...and making a valiant attempt to drag the thread back on topic,

Technically WINS is a 'feature' rather than a role as Ikon mentioned above and it is depreciated. However some software still seems to have 'difficulties' shall we say without it and I'm looking at you Office 2007!

In theory you could remove the Cert Authority role (Chris is absolutely right, it's this that prevent you renaming the server as doing so would break the certificate chain), then rename the server and then reinstall the Cert Authority role. Naturally you will need to reissue any certificates and probably best to rejoin any clients to the domain. Come to think of it, this might well bust all sorts of other functions so unless you are feeling particularly brave (or happen to be drunk), I'd just be tempted to take off and nuke the server from orbit - it's the only way to be sure. (See Chris isn't the only one who can drop sci-fi references into posts).

Otherwise, what you could do is to create a CNAME record into the forward lookup zone file for whatever your domain's name is. The name would be whatever you want the server to respond as and the address would be it's IP address. For your purposes a simple host (A) record in the same place would probably do just as well.

As regard the 'odd' share names, please just leave them alone. They are there for good reasons and very, very bad stuff will happen if you try to change them.

John

• Like 1

Exactly why I said it's VERY important to pick a naming scheme BEFORE setting up the server.

It's a nightmare to change it after the fact. It was okay with WHS2011 because you only affected the server. But with Essentials.... It's literally easier to wipe the entire domain and start from scratch. :(

So yes, the "nuke it from orbit" option is definitely the best. Otherwise, it's a literal bug hunt. (see what I did there? :P)

Also, as for the "odd share names", see this post:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8793-default-share-chaos/#entry94825

I know that you can rename the domain by removing the essentials capability and putting it back in again, but I did not try renaming the server.

I know that you can rename the domain by removing the essentials capability and putting it back in again, but I did not try renaming the server.

Is it really that simple? In most situations, I don't think nuking the Essentials Role would be that big a deal, so it could be a much easier way to do this. It would actually be quite a sales point in favour of WSE2012 over WHS2011.