RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hello all! Could I ask for a bit of advice on my first 2012R2 home server.

calmasacow

Ok So I was a long time WHS user but when they got rid of DE in WHS2011 I jumped ship and had been using Amahi Home server with Greyhole.Then that product started constantly changing directions and breaking upgrade paths so I ended up a few year old version that hadn't had any up date. needless to say after few years with it it recently got hosed up and I decided it was time to just build a whole new server. So after reading around mostly here and WeGotServed I decided on 2012 R2 essentials and Stablebit scanner and DrivePool. so I have it installed and I'm migrating my data over and I have a couple questions.

1: The server name I was really tired and I completed the Server Config but forgot to change the default name before I did so now I have that annoying WIN-********** name. I read here 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2014/02/21/deploying-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-in-an-existing-active-directory-environment.aspx

But that looks like I was supposed to do it before I finished the configuration Utility. Is it going to mess anything up if I do it now? If this is not an option does anyone know how to ad a alias to the DNS so that say "\\HOMESERVER" also goes the the same IP address?

2: So from what I have read this OS insists on being a PDC. It also has a ton of exposed system shares like "CertEnroll" is there anyway to hide these? From everyone if possible. I mean I'm sure that the systems needs them for something but I really don't want anyone having access to them. my daughter sometimes gets on my computers so I don't even want them visible to admins.

3: So the last is also the most important. I need this thing to be visible on the network even to non-domain computers and devices. I have a ton of stuff that needs to access this thing that Domain member ship is just not an option: "Xboxes, AppleTVs, iPads, Macs". I read something about a "connector software for windows 2012 R2 Essentials" I have it downloaded. But the descriptions of what it does are very vague. it is just a tool that is going to join computers to the domain? does it do anything else? I remember there being a connector for WHS. but I think all it really did was give you the WHS control panel  on the client and enable backing up. I have a lot of Apple systems and I really don't want to be joining stuff to the domain. What are my options?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this even if you don't know the answers. 

-calmasacow

Edited by calmasacow

2012R2 Essentials HAS to be a PDC, no way around it.  There are several methods to avoid joining clients to the domain such as Paul Braren has laid out:

http://www.tinkertry.com/how-to-make-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-client-connector-install-behave-just-like-windows-home-server/

To answer the first question, I'd re-run the Config just to have it clean.

To answer the first question, I'd re-run the Config just to have it clean.

sorry for being ignorant on this one but how is this done. I googled a link but the page is hosed on technet and doesn't load.

1. I'm not sure how you would change the server's name.

2. Don't know.

3. Devices do not need to be joined to the Domain in order to access the server. It's a function of setting up folder shares and the permissions assigned to those shares. It has nothing at all to do with the Connector. The Connector is really for doing backups and getting access to the DashBoard from a client computer without having to use Remote Desktop.

Your Windows clients should be able to access the shares. If you don't join the client to the Domain, you may have to create user accounts on the server that have the same UserName and Password as the one on the Client in order to have access to the shares.

I'm not sure about the XBoxes and Macs.

3.  For xbox they connect via UPNP I believe.  You need to setup UPNP.  I can't remember if 2012ER2 has this built in.  I thought I saw it in older versions.  I have Kodi installed and its sharing my library via UPNP to my devices.  AppleTV I think can only stream video from itunes.  So you need to install itunes on the server to share the library.  iPads/iPhones, it depends on the app.  I use Documents to access documents on my computer and it does this by mapping via SMB. 

Basically, if your device has a method to access network shares, it can be done.  Anything else, may require extra software on the server but should be possible.

3.  For xbox they connect via UPNP I believe.  You need to setup UPNP.  I can't remember if 2012ER2 has this built in.  I thought I saw it in older versions.  I have Kodi installed and its sharing my library via UPNP to my devices.  AppleTV I think can only stream video from itunes.  So you need to install itunes on the server to share the library.  iPads/iPhones, it depends on the app.  I use Documents to access documents on my computer and it does this by mapping via SMB. 

Basically, if your device has a method to access network shares, it can be done.  Anything else, may require extra software on the server but should be possible.

yeah I have Jailbroken ATV2s so the work smb and have XBMC. I have not tried them with Kodi release yet. As for the XBOXes Those will use Plex Media Server. Also looking at iHomeserver has iTunes Service support.

1. I'm not sure how you would change the server's name.

2. Don't know.

3. Devices do not need to be joined to the Domain in order to access the server. It's a function of setting up folder shares and the permissions assigned to those shares. It has nothing at all to do with the Connector. The Connector is really for doing backups and getting access to the DashBoard from a client computer without having to use Remote Desktop.

Your Windows clients should be able to access the shares. If you don't join the client to the Domain, you may have to create user accounts on the server that have the same UserName and Password as the one on the Client in order to have access to the shares.

I'm not sure about the XBoxes and Macs.

Ok but is there a way to make it show up on the network? It is like it is locked to only be visible to machines that are joined or something. and I can't change it the way you used to be able. Cant just turn on Network Visibility or whatever.

hmm ok so the Connector for the most part is the same thing it was before. once it is run "with the skin domain join thing done" will the server be listed when I goto the network on my windows 8 machines? My Mac machines already see it just fine.

So all you are trying to do is get your Servername back for the Web Site or the hostname for the Server?

Not sure what you mean. what I'm saying I would like my server to appear as \\homeserver or \\media  or even \\home and not \\WIN-U0BK73G7T65K or \\WIN-U0BK73G7T65K.HOME.local

You can also use plex server with a little have to stream to non jail broken Apple tvs as well. A friend of mine does this. I use Kodi. It works.

As for the last point. Are you asking how to get the server to show up when you are browsing the network from all devices?

As for the last point. Are you asking how to get the server to show up when you are browsing the network from all devices?

Yes.

Ok but is there a way to make it show up on the network? It is like it is locked to only be visible to machines that are joined or something. and I can't change it the way you used to be able. Cant just turn on Network Visibility or whatever.

hmm ok so the Connector for the most part is the same thing it was before. once it is run "with the skin domain join thing done" will the server be listed when I goto the network on my windows 8 machines? My Mac machines already see it just fine.

Your statements are a bit contradictory. If only computers that are joined to the Domain can see the server, how is it the Macs can?

I'm not sure what the fix is, but I can think of a few things try:

1. make sure both of the "Link Layer Topology...." items are checked in the Network Adapter settings;
  2. try setting the Workgroup of a Win8 client the same as the Domain name used by the server. If it's already the same, try making it different: i.e. make it the opposite of what it currently is;
  3. try PINGing the server by name from one of the Win8 clients. If it doesn't PING, you may have found your answer. Check what the DNS is set to on the client. If the Primary is set to your router instead of the server, that may be why they can't see it;
  4. Try mapping a drive to one of the server's shares from one of the Win8 computers. You will have to enter the \\<servername>\sharename manually I imagine. If it says it can't find the server to map the share, try mapping it by IP: \\<IP of server\sharename. If that works, see #3.

One other thing: as you try each of these things, particularly #2 and #3, if they don't fix it be sure to set them back the way they were. You don't want them causing issues with later tests.