RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Proliant G1610T for Plex. What OS would you recommend?

UrAverageStoner

Hi.

I need some advice. About a month ago i found out about Plex and i have a huge DVD/BluRay collection. So i got an old PC and set it up to do that. Then when i filled up the 2TB with dvds i brought a 4TB to fill with BluRays. Problem was my motherboard didnt support 4TB so i looked into getting a Microserver from HP. 

After a lot of research i brought the HP Microserver Gen 8 G1610T. Upgrading the RAM to 16GB and i decided i really like the look of FreeNas. Spent weeks watching/reading guides and reviews multiple times. I feel comfortable setting up FreeNas apart from when it gets to the RAID part. I know what all the RAIDS do but non of them appeal to me as i already have a back up of the data (The psychical disks). 

Id rather have all the space and if one dies ill re-rip the media for that drive. Time consuming but i'm 100% okay with that. I like a project haha. After installing FreeNas i don't think right for me now. I have been looking into Windows server 2012 or maybe just scrapping all that and installing windows 7 on it and have it set up how i used to have it on my old PC. I don't know anything about how to transfer files from my PC ripping the disks to the server.

What ill be using it for:
- The server will solely be a media center and no important data at all will be stored on it.
- 2TB / 4TB WD Green HDD. (I know reds are better, I brought them when it was just a PC not on 24/7)
- Plex Media Server plugin.
- Maybe SickBeard as well at a later date. 
- A way to upload media files remotely when i buy DVDs/BluRays.
- Able to add new HDDs without messing with other HDDs (No raid)

What OS would you recommend? I'm hoping to find someone that doesn't mind helping me though this project. I brought the server because the best way i learn things is when i get my hands dirty. Thanks for reading this far. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions. Remember i'm kind of new to this so i might not understand all the abbreviations.

Thanks
 - Matt 

• Like 1

It sounds like Win7 or Win8 would suit you. I'm also thinking you might want to look into DrivePool and Stablebit Scanner. These products are from the same company. If you buy one of them, you get a discount on the other, even if you don't buy them at the same time.

DrivePool will give you some of the advantages of RAID without being RAID. You can pool all the drives together into a single volume and yet still be able to read any individual drive on another computer. A lot of other drive aggregating systems will not let you take an individual drive out of the system and read it elsewhere. RAID0 would let you use all the space for data but you would lose all of the data if a drive failed.

Scanner will keep an eye on those Green drives for you, performing surface scans from time to time, alerting you if it finds anything wrong. It also monitors the S.M.A.R.T. info and alerts if it finds issues. That could help alleviate some concern you might have about using the Greenies.

It sounds like Win7 or Win8 would suit you. I'm also thinking you might want to look into DrivePool and Stablebit Scanner. These products are from the same company. If you buy one of them, you get a discount on the other, even if you don't buy them at the same time.

DrivePool will give you some of the advantages of RAID without being RAID. You can pool all the drives together into a single volume and yet still be able to read any individual drive on another computer. A lot of other drive aggregating systems will not let you take an individual drive out of the system and read it elsewhere. RAID0 would let you use all the space for data but you would lose all of the data if a drive failed.

Scanner will keep an eye on those Green drives for you, performing surface scans from time to time, alerting you if it finds anything wrong. It also monitors the S.M.A.R.T. info and alerts if it finds issues. That could help alleviate some concern you might have about using the Greenies.

Thanks for the reply I don't think I'll need any of them programs as I'm not worried about a HDD failing and losing data and I don't need my HDD to share a volume. Putting my copy of windows 7 on the machine seems like the best idea so far then but I'm not sure how to add files over wifi to it. Iv also read somewhere I think that it's not straight forward to install it to my server. That's why iv been looking for other OS for the sole purpose to store and stream my media.

Well, you add files to it by sharing a folder on the 'server' and copying the files from the computer you use to rip the discs to the 'server'. Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.

Well, you add files to it by sharing a folder on the 'server' and copying the files from the computer you use to rip the discs to the 'server'. Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.

No you understand perfectly. Iv just never needed to share a folder with another PC or server before. Ill look up how to do that tomorrow. Ill be on again after work tomorrow. Thanks for your advice!

Right Click the folder, Share.  It's that simple.  

Well, there's a little more to it than that, or at least there can be. He might want to know a bit about his options.

Well, there's a little more to it than that, or at least there can be. He might want to know a bit about his options.

Here's the update. I decided to install windows 7 on the gen 8 because that's what i was using before so i might as well stick with what i know now. BUT i can't get the damn thing to install.