RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How long does the battery for HP Smart Array Controller last?

g725s

I purchased my HP P410 Smart Array Controller with a 512MB battery-backed write cache (BBWC) module used off eBay for a pretty good price.  At the time I got it it came with a battery that was swollen.  I did some searching at the time and found information that said if the battery was swollen in size that it was bad or going bad.  I contacted the eBay seller and they sent me one that did not look swollen.

So I'd like to ask others here that have might have experience with the batteries for these controller, how long do they typically last?

I know the Array Configuration Utility can do diagnostics on the array.  And I see battery info in there, but I'm not really sure how to interpret all of it.

Edited by g725s

Three years is a number that gets quoted a lot.

I have one that is swelling up, I may dissect it and see what kind of batteries are used inside.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00257513.pdf

Well I assume the second battery they sent me was used as well.  I think it already had ever so slight swelling in progress when I put it in a couple of years ago.  My Slot1 reports says:

Battery calibration values = 0x61 0x31 0x46
validate_pic_fw: pic version in ROM = 52
Battery 1 firmware is up to date.
Battery 2 not present.
Battery 3 not present.

Battery Status:    Battery 1      Battery 2      Battery 3
---------------    ---------      ---------      ---------
Present:              YES             NO             NO
Responding:           YES            N/A            N/A
PIC Revision:          52              .              .         
Extra Status:        0x01              .              .         
   Enabled:         FALSE              .              .         
   Charging:        FALSE              .              .         
   Good:             TRUE              .              .         
   Open:            FALSE              .              .         
   Shorted:         FALSE              .              .         
   Sample Err:      FALSE              .              .         
Control:             0x00              .              .         
Load Current: (0x19)  5.4mA            .              .    
   Per Memory Chip:  1098uA            .              .         
Voltage:      (0xaa) 5510mV            .              .         
Capacity:              97%             .              .         
Depletion count:     0x00              .    

Schoondoggy, that link you posted is one of those HP one-off links I believe.  Need a direct link to that pdf you were trying to link to.

Schoondoggy, the second time I clicked that link it worked for.  Thanks for posting that.

Where to you find a New replacement battery for a good price?  I wonder, but doubt, if there is such a thing as an after market battery.

Were you thinking of replacing the cells in the battery yourself?  I don't have the time to figure that out.

I'd hate to open up my case and see the battery leaking out.  I'd imagine that once it swelled past a point it might leak.

I think they are standard batteries. I will see if I can take one apart this weekend.

Well good luck with that.  I really hope you can do it.  I still have the swollen one I did not use.  I don't see an easy way to open it up to get access to the batteries.  Post up some pictures if your venture is successful.

Part number on this swollen one is: 

HP SPARES NUMBER = 462976-001

HP PART NUMBER = 4604499-001

I think they are standard batteries. I will see if I can take one apart this weekend.

That would good, although I think you will have to watch out for the chemistry. From the manual you linked, it appears HP is using Lithium Manganese Dioxide, which is not what's used in the most common Li-ion batteries.

That would good, although I think you will have to watch out for the chemistry. From the manual you linked, it appears HP is using Lithium Manganese Dioxide, which is not what's used in the most common Li-ion batteries.

I've not looked into pricing of new batteries.  But I would guess they are not cheap.  I also wonder if you could send the battery into someone to be rebuilt.

They are Ni-MH, four wired to be 4.8v 650mAh

xgXoAu.jpg
7ABuas.jpg
  • Like 1