RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Mini-ITX board w/ECC support - any ideas? (ZFS/SMB)

scruffters

Hello guys.

I'm tempted to build a small ZFS lab box (5x SATA RAIDZ) - instead of building a bigger rack based box.

As a file server single core performance is important as both ZFS and SMB do not multi-thread. Looking around I've noticed that both the Supermicro a1sai-2750f (Avaton C2750 based) and AS-ROCK E3C226D2I running Pentium C3220 are popular combinations. Power consumption is not so much of an issue for me. I'm just after something Micro-ITX sized that supports ECC and has (at least) a couple of gigabit NICs.

So it seems to me that the cheaper Pentium setup would be a better bet - but I wondered if anybody else could weigh in? I see lots of folks using the Avaton (presumably as it is so economical, rather than for performance in this application).

:-)

NB: From what I've read an i3 or Xeon to be overkill for this application. I have another unit running G2020T w/ZFS on Linux and this appears to be very capable.

I'd guess you would overtax an i3 for VM usage but I know form experience an i5 (see sig line) will do just fine.

Well this is the thing, I'm not doing any VM stuff.

Its a headless ZFS/SMB box ;-)

I don't think i5 has ECC support - hence looking at lower end Pentium/i3/Avaton options.

Thanks all.

Most of all what I am trying to access is if the 8 core Avaton is going to be suitable for the intended workload.

These seem to be popular for file servers because they are so energy efficient, but my worry is that they the cores themselves are going to be too slow - at which point the pentium starts to look more attractive.

Edited by scruffters

Just go with the AsRock E3C226D2I (or the cheaper E3C224D2I).  MiniITX, dual Intel LAN, ECC support, 6 SATAs.  Stuff in a cheap Haswell Pentium and you're laughing.

I had FreeNAS running on the 226D2I and a Pentium G3430 (2x3.3GHz) and 16GB DDR3-1600 ECC RAM.  Works perfectly.

• Like 1

Saw that build before.  I'm not a fan of the Node 304 case, I don't like the drive trays in it, as each drive is upside-down compared to it's neighbour, which is a nightmare for wiring.