RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Big Worm

Windows 10 Free Upgrade for 1 Year!

jmwills

Does that mean Win 7 and Win 8 SKU's with a Technet key can all be upgraded to 10?

I would think so but technically your TechNet subscription has expired, right?

• Like 1

Poppapete

I would think so but technically your TechNet subscription has expired, right?

So does that mean I should not be using any of the software I got from Technet!!!!!

I paid a lot of money every year for 10 years.

Big Worm

Technet was never for production use even though you paid all that money every year.  

Now whether the keys are going to come up as a valid upgrade is going to have to be a wait and see.

GotNoTime

So does that mean I should not be using any of the software I got from Technet!!!!!

I paid a lot of money every year for 10 years.

The Technet license situation is complicated. As noted by other people, the licenses were only ever for evaluation and testing. They weren't ever valid for production usage.

Regarding perpetual licensing. Prior to July 2012, the licenses you got from Technet were perpetual. You could stop your subscription and they'd continue to be valid. The complicated part is that if you renewed your Technet subscription on that account after July 2012 then you automatically agreed to and changed to the new licensing terms which removed the perpetual rights. Your licenses then expire the moment your subscription expires. The only way to keep the old perpetual licenses would have been to not renew the old account which then kept the perpetual licenses and start a new account at the higher price for software after 2012. It was confirmed by a Microsoft Technet support employee on their forum. Read https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aae86244-bf48-4799-a147-2f18dd3342bd/perpetual-usage-rights-technet-subscriber-agreement-prior-to-16-july-12and look for the posts by "Mike".

Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 1