RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Big Worm

Windows 10 Free Upgrade for 1 Year!

jmwills

The option is still not there in the Control Panel but at least I can point it to my WSUS server.

• Like 1

ikon

That's a good point. Enterprises are not going to want to have thousands of computers reaching out to MS to do updates. Frankly, neither does MS. Also, corporate IT departments will raise Holy Hell if MS forces them to update computers without them being able to test the updates and decide if they want them or not.

So, MS is going to have to leave open the option to not use their update feature. 'Course, MS could make it possible to opt out of fully automatic updates only for the Pro and Enterprise versions of Win10.

jmwills

The articles I've read indicate that Microsoft will push feature as they become available and not wait.  So, what if I don't want that feature?

schoondoggy

JMWills, I do not believe that the license to run Windows is tied to a specific device for the retail versions of Windows.  It is restricted to one device at a time, but the owner of the license is free to transfer the license to another device at any time, provided that Windows is no longer installed on the original device.  I have looked at the Eula for my Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and this is a direct quote from it.  :

" Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and B) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key, and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers.Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and B) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key, and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers."

Hence, the point of my post. Will I lose this flexibility when I upgrade to Windows 10?

I think the licensing will be different depending on the original license of Windows 7 or 8. If you got Windows 8 with a Dell laptop, you will be able to upgrade it to Windows 10, but per the original license it must stay on that machine. If you bought a retail copy of Windows 8 and upgrade to Windows 10 I believe that license will be able to move to other machines.

jmwills

Thurrott has put together a Windows 10 Upgrade Matrix https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3887/windows-10-upgrade-matrix-which-version-you-get-for-free?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Joanna Stern has reported that Windows 10 will officially launch on July 29th.

This will be the "Home Version" on 29 July from what I understand.

nrf

What about win 7 Starter? I like to use that version for throwaways and thin clients as Technet gave me an OEM key. I still have a fear of activation failure since I lost my first Vista key when my mobo was fried by lightning/EMP.

(MSDN gave out retail keys for that version)

nrf

microsoft now has info on its site, 'starter' gets 'home' too.

jmwills

It's all "Home" to begin with.

Poppapete

Does that mean Win 7 and Win 8 SKU's with a Technet key can all be upgraded to 10?